Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
friesian49
Tutor
Tutor

On Saturday, around 730 pm or so, I had an error saying tamper detected on both video doorbells and then they went offline.  No issues at the house, so I restarted both of them through the app.  Now I'm getting device is offline as well as connect network, but no options are available to connect.  When I look at the physical doorbells, they are both dead - no lights.  I took them off and tried to reset on back of doorbell, with no luck.  There's no circuit that is tripped, I'm at a loss on how I all of a sudden seem to have lost power and if there's something I need to do before I call an electrician out.  My internet connections are fine and other cameras are working fine.

A bit of this week's history - I had an issue with the microwave circuit being tripped and had an electrician friend out to check on it.  It had tripped on it's own and I was unfamiliar with it being tripped to the middle position.  He had taken the cover off the circuit panel to troubleshoot, saw it was in the middle position and turned it off and then on and all was good.  At that point, it was just the microwave, nothing else was wrong.  This was on Thursday, I lost power to the cameras on Saturday.

I don't have any AC testing equipment here, but I have to think it's a power issue.  I read online that there' a backup battery in the doorbells, is that correct?  Could it have been on backup power since Thursday and then died by Saturday?

Again, just trying to see if there's anything I can do before I call him again to come out and fix something stupid like last time!  Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you have multiple doorbells doing the same thing, I'd suspect the power. Use a voltmeter to read the voltage at the doorbells. The transformer may have died. It is also possible that having 2 doorbells on the same transformer, if that's how it's wired, may be an issue. You'll have to have proper power applied for a while before the doorbell can be successfully reconnected, due to charging of the small battery in the doorbells.

friesian49
Tutor
Tutor

That sounds logical, just crazy that I had the electrician over for something I could have fixed and now there's this.  Always something - thanks!

Kelly

friesian49
Tutor
Tutor

OK, the transformer was bad and was replaced today.  The electrician checked and the wires at both doorbells have power, but they are not responding.  We are both assuming that the small battery is dead - I had an issue with a scooter over winter, where the battery died, I put a battery tenderer on and it charged it back up in a day or so.  Are we looking at a similar issue with the installed battery?  Will it recharge it power is restored or do I need to buy a new one?  Thanks in advance!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I had disconnected my wired doorbell a while ago which caused the battery to die. Reconnecting it to power didn't allow it to reconnect to Arlo - the battery had to be charged first. Once there was a sufficient charge it connected fine. By now, all shoul dbe well for you.

friesian49
Tutor
Tutor

It was reconnected to power yesterday (10 June) at approx 400 pm.  It's now 0945 on 11 June and I still have no lights on the doorbells.  Do you have any idea of the timeframe to charge it?  I'm almost at the point to buy a new one, but that just seems insane.  If I do, I'll get the wireless one so I can at least charge it when needed.  Appreciate your help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@friesian49 wrote:

It was reconnected to power yesterday (10 June) at approx 400 pm.  It's now 0945 on 11 June and I still have no lights on the doorbells. 

That's too long. Have you tried resetting it today?

friesian49
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, took it off and held down the rest button for about 10 seconds and still nothing.  I'm having my brother stop by with a voltmeter so I can take a picture and send to support.  The new transformer that was replaced shows 16V and 30 VA, I believe.  Read another article that says those are within the specs for it. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation