Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell is super slow

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
iHateArlo99
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the video doorbell for a few months and so far I've found it to be a complete waste of money. 

Installation. Not terrible actually, I got it working with my existing chime. One thing that they don't tell you is that it needs to be mounted on a completely flat surface. My previous doorbell was right next to the door frame which sticks out. This is way larger than a normal doorbell so it has to sit at an angle but when you do that the screws keep you from attaching it to the baseplate. Had to make a workaround by slightly unscrewing the base. They should include some extenders or make the baseplate have a bit more room for the screw heads.

Day to day use. Terrible. The only good thing I can say is that it works with my existing chime. Maybe 30 seconds or a minute later I'll get a notification and my Google Home will say that someone is at the door. Whenever I try to answer thru the app it just says connecting. Regular viewing thru the app is somewhat better, usually after connecting for a few minutes it will finally show me the "live" view which is a few minutes behind actual live. I would have actually returned it but the shipment got lost and delayed so long that by the time I got it the return date had already passed. More of a Newegg issue but their customer support is trash. 

I've spent a few hours with customer support troubleshooting but they weren't able to find a fix and said that my internet must be bad but 110/11 is the fastest Spectrum offers in my area and I can stream 4k Netflix on several TVs with no problems. The Arlo smart was not completely awful, it kept false positives to only a few/day but often would fail to detect when someone came to the door to deliver a package and when it did it was usually after they were walking away. Also I thought it was weird it wouldn't save a clip when someone rang the doorbell. After the smart trial lapsed I did not renew and immediately started getting 30-50 notifications a day, any time anything outside moved, so I had to turn off. 

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have a ticket number I can reference to see what troubleshooting was already done with the support team?

JamesC

iHateArlo99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation