Video Doorbell does not sense Motion Detection

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Gdelta75
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an essential wired doorbell that I have installed a month ago. My doorbell was never able to sense people or do motion detection. However, the doorbell can sense vehicles driving by and those motion are detected and recorded on the cloud. How can my doorbell detect people approaching my door and sent me notification to my phone?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, check the motion sensitivity in your modes and rules - you may need to increase it. Test it yourself to verify. Also, is the motion generally directly at the doorbell? The PIR sensor may be having trouble differentiating the motion - the angled bracket may help if appropriate. 

Gdelta75
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Motion Detection sensitivity was set to 100. I tested myself walking in front of my Arlo wired doorbell' s field of view of 130 deg. The doorbell did not sense my motion. My doorbell can see out 50 feet. I walked 15 feet towards my doorbell and still, the motion sensor did not detect me. I then went to live streaming view and walked around the doorbell and saw there was a 10s delay in showing me a live feed of myself. My wifi-fi router is 5 feet away from my doorbell. Do you have any recommendations?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While my motion sensitivity setting is 45 (to help eliminate street traffic) I can get detection out to ~10-12 feet with motion directly (more or less) at the doorbell. Motion side to side is more like 15-20 feet. While it may not make a difference, this is with a wireless doorbell, not the wired version. It's possible you have a faulty doorbell and replacing it by swapping at the store or going through  official support (Settings, Support) may be needed.

As for the 10 second delay, is that when starting live view or is the video lagging that much once started? The 10 second delay starting is slightly long but don't forget you're waking the doorbell, initiating communication to the servers and then to your phone. It's not a WiFi connection thang - it's the nature of cloud-based battery-operated cameras.

Gdelta75
Aspirant
Aspirant

I solved the issue with following a list of instructions on Arlo documentation. Here are the instructions. 

To edit existing modes or rules for an Arlo device:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure app or log in to your Arlo account at my.arlo.com.
  2. Click or tap Mode.
  3. Click or tap the device whose mode you want to edit.
  4. Click or tap the pencil icon next to the mode or rule that you want to edit.
  5. Edit the mode or rule and tap Save.
  6. Tap Done.

When considering the choice between wired and wireless doorbells, the distinction appears negligible in the context of motion detection capabilities. Both types effectively detect motion, contingent upon the configured rules of the modes that are activated (Arm Away, Arm Home, or Standby). Notably, during Standby mode, I observed motion detection was turned off for camera's, which, however, can be easily rectified by activation. Addressing the 10-second delay in live motion viewing is a current concern, and I'm trying to find a solution to the problem. In contrast, my experience with a Wyze garage camera, which I've owned for over five years, has been seamless with no discernible lag in notifications and only a brief half-second delay in live streaming.

Despite acquiring an Arlo Pro 4 and Arlo 3 spotlight camera for its superior field of view and features, navigating the Arlo app has proven to be somewhat perplexing. It is my hope that Arlo, now an established company with a diverse product line, invests more in refining and simplifying their app interface for an enhanced user experience.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some Arlo cameras support live viewing without going through the servers but the doorbells aren't among them. Do you have other cameras that could be used instead? Check the Video Settings for the camera settings for Local *k Live Streaming (the *k depends on whether the cameras are 2k or 4k).

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation