Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Bob_CA
Tutor
Tutor
Video doorbell was configured with Arlo hub for pro 3. It is detecting motion and sending alerts. However it does not record when motion is detected. Is it supposed to? Or, does it only record when someone presses button on doorbell?
53 REPLIES 53
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bob_CA,

First, your Arlo Video Doorbell needs a subscription to an Arlo Smart plan to save recordings to the cloud. If you have an active Arlo Smart subscription (or trial) recordings from the Arlo Video Doorbell will be saved to the cloud if the doorbell is Armed and there is an active rule telling it to record when motion is detected. If your Arlo Video Doorbell is synced to your SmartHub, log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Mode > select your SmartHub > check the active mode to make sure there is a rule present telling the Arlo Video Doorbell to record when motion is detected.

JamesC

Bob_CA
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your response James.  That was very helpful, although I am still not getting recordings.

I have a 3 month Arlo Smart trial because of the 4 Arlo Pro 3 Cameras and the hub that I purchased, the the Video doorbell would not let me enable the rule to record.  So I actually subscribed thinking that the free trial was limited to the 4 cameras.  So, now I show all 5 devices subscribed to Arlo Smart.  However in the Mode -> Armed -> Video Doorbell rule, the option for Record is greyed out, and I cannot get it to record - it tells me that I have to upgrade my subscription, but I already purchased the 5 camera plan.  So, what's up?  Does it take time to propagate?  I'll check again in the morning.

Bob

Bob_CA
Tutor
Tutor

So, a couple days later when I checked, the option to record on motion was no longer grayed out.  So I enabled it and now I get recordings, but unfortunately I now get double notifications on motion - oh well, at least getting the recordings.

I should have gotten Arlo Smart automatically with the purchase of my video doorbell as the introduction email from Arlo indicated.  I am hoping that my subscription is on hold until my free trial runs out...for the doorbell and the 4 cameras.

Bob_CA
Tutor
Tutor

So, what I said before was based on the mobile app...the web interface still has the record button grayed out:(.  Please fix the website.

Lowprofile110
Tutor
Tutor
Hi James,

My doorbell video camera was recording fine, set to local recordings on USB, until this week. I get motion alerts, but no recordings. There is plenty of room on my USB. When I reset the smart hub, it sometimes will record like it did before, but only for that evening. Then the next morning, back to the same issue. The last few resets didn't do anything. No recordings. Please advise.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lowprofile110,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

rblastick
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the Arlo Doorbell only record if you have a subscription? Is there an option to record locally? If so how do you setup the recording locally? My trial has ended and when I look to make sure the doorbell is set to record, it is greyed out. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rblastick,

Yes. Your Arlo Video Doorbell must have an Arlo Smart subscription for recordings to be saved to the cloud. You can utilize local storage if you have your doorbell synced to a base station or a SmartHub. For more information on local storage, take a look here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

JamesC

Jrfvismanos
Tutor
Tutor

Do you need a subscription to have the video doorbell records to the base station?

Isn't the subscription for cloud recording only?

My recording is greyed out on the Mode Rule and the doorbell is not recording. I no longer have the 90 days trial, but the doorbell is sync to my arlo pro 2 base station VMB4000R3.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jrfvismanos,

For recordings to be saved to the library, you must have an Arlo Smart Subscription. For more information on Arlo Smart, take a look here: What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud recording is available?

JamesC

Lowprofile110
Tutor
Tutor
i discovered that the doorbell camera will record to the base station without a subscription onto a usb stick

but you can only view those recordings by manually ejecting the usb stick and viewing them on a laptop
wwwninja
Initiate
Initiate

This is so lame, it can record to the local storage but can cannot view it with the Arlo GUI interface. Have to connect connect my USB hard drive to  laptop in order to view recordings. Other non doorbell cameras no problem. I purchased the VMB4500 specifically for local storage. If get the subscription (whopping $9.99 for my one camera), I can record/view recordings to Cloud. I just want to view recordings on local hard drive. Arlo should fix this, instead of forcing customers to pay for the Cloud service. When will  it be fixed?  I'm running latest firmware. Try calling support multiple times, always give me runaround, or disconnect me from the chats.

wwwninja
Initiate
Initiate

Update. So Video Doorbell camera according to Arlo support, only supports viewing library from Arlo if have Cloud subscription. Other cameras e.g Arlo2 can view from library if recording to Cloud or Local storage . Decided to pay for the $2.99 Single Camera plan for the Video Door bell.  Will not buy anymore Arlo products until they fix this.

Jrfvismanos
Tutor
Tutor

Exactly. I feel like I’m being ripped off from this arlo video camera doorbell. I have 4 arlo pro 2s with base station and that does not help with the recording. It should just be native for the arlo video doorbell to integrate with the base unit without subscription. We don’t need the other special features of the video door bell like package detection, we just need it to record movements. It defies the use of it to be force to get the unnecessary subscription.

JoDika
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo should upgrade this base.  I recently purchased this system with the understanding it will record video without a subscription.  That is NOT true for this base. Do not purchase if you feel you want to view local recordings without having to buy a prescription.

IreneS
Initiate
Initiate
We just bought the doorbell, installed it and have discovered that it doesn't record any videos automatically. Our other Arlo cameras do record videos which we can go back and look at. but this doorbell does not serve the purpose for which we bought it. I'm super disappointed!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

IreneS,

If the doorbell is Armed, it should record when it detects motion, much like your other cameras. Check your modes and make sure the doorbell is configured to record when motion is detected.

JamesC

kwhiffin
Star
Star

I'm with ya.  Running into the exact same issue.  Very disappointed.  

Kevinkolob
Initiate
Initiate
Seriously? Can’t record from doorbell without a subscription. I feel like Arlo is intentionally deceiving their most loyal customers...I have 3 other Arlo cameras and understood this doorbell works the same but not true this has to be fixed now! What good is a camera that won’t record?
Jrfvismanos
Tutor
Tutor

That’s incorrect. The doorbell obviously doesn’t record when you’re not subscribed monthly. 

JamesC

Community Manager

IreneS,

If the doorbell is Armed, it should record when it detects motion, much like your other cameras. Check your modes and make sure the doorbell is configured to record when motion is detected.

JamesC

JoDika
Initiate
Initiate
That is my point. I don't want to have to subscribe. However no its not my settings, it's the hub base. It will record to a flash drive BUT.. you have to plug the flash drive into your computer to view it. Which makes the doorbell camera useless.
Kevinkolob
Initiate
Initiate

My point was I have purchased 3 other Arlo cameras each record up to 7 days which is what I wanted and all I need and they do this without a subscription. So when my son wanted to know what I would like for my birthday I thought why not get the door bell and yes here was my mistake...I assumed (ass-u & me) all Arlo products would work the same and so this is why I feel like this "lack of disclosure" that you MUST have a subscription for this door bell to record.....was and is a conscious effort on the part of Arlo to intentional deceive and then to coerce me into paying for a subscription I don't want. I read the instruction and the box but never at any time did I see anything about a subscription required (it appeared to me to be an upgrade option ) and until the Free Trial was over I had no clue it would not work like the other three I already owned. Sad and Confused! 

Fozref
Tutor
Tutor

So...... If I was to connect an Arlo wire free video doorbell, to my VMB4000 hub with 32gb storage, it wont be able to record/download footage without the subscription (which is what this hub is able to do)

Also, can you add the doorbell video to your phones camera roll?

TiA

BCQ
Guide
Guide

It seems easiest to keep this thread alive. Please move this if it is in the wrong area.

I have a video doorbell connected through a SmartHub base station. 2 days ago my doorbell stopped recording. If the bell is pressed,, I get the notification to my phone.  It will record if I answer the notification. It will not record if I decline it or do nothing. It also is not recording motion. I have changed nothing. My plan is active, my settings are set to record video if motion is detected.

If the responses to reset anything, OK. Then what? The point to these things is to surveil when you are not home.  I do not check my library with any regularity to alert me that is not working. How would someone reset it if they are away for an extended period?

Thank you.

Discussion stats