Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Very sporadic operation of Arlo wired video doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DSinMO
Aspirant
Aspirant

The doorbell was brand new, and has never worked reliably. Specifically the issues are: very sporadic connection to live stream, very sporadic motion detection notifications, very sporadic recordings of motion and no audio. I have been in contact with Arlo support 3 times over the past several days and the issues are not resolved. They requested I contact my ISP so I have talked with my ISP on 3 different occasions. I have confirmed with my ISP internet speed, and that ports 80 and 443 are open on the router. Still the issues persist. The doorbell does indicate a strong wifi signal and my ISP could see the doorbell connected to my network. The last time I spoke to Arlo support the tech said he was turning my problem over to an internal team and they would be contacting me, however I have no confidence this is going to happen. Just as a point of reference I'm able to stream videos, upload videos and surf the web sitting right next to my doorbell with no issues.

Any tips as to how to resolve these issues will be appreciated because if I can't get the doorbell to operate reliably I will be returning it. I really do like the doorbell when it does work but that is very very seldom.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's hard to say for sure from afar but it sounds very much like a signal strength/quality issue between the doorbell and whatever it's connected to (router or base/hub). A strong signal doesn't necessarily mean a good connection. How is the doorbell connected - base or router? Can you use the other? 

DSinMO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the reply. Since I bought the doorbell "as a test of Arlo products" with the intent to purchase security cameras in the near future I do not have an Arlo hub or base station. I am wirelessly connected to my router which is supplied by my ISP. Any idea how to improve the connection? I believe I stated this in my original post that I can sit right next to my doorbell and do whatever I want to on the web, connected to my network, using a smart device. Not being a tech expert I don't understand how I have no issues with the wifi connection using a smart device but yet the doorbell has a possible poor connection. Any additional thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A quick thing to try is to swap the doorbell at the store since it could just be a bad device. 

When using your smartphone next to the doorbell, what signal strength does that device show? If you place the phone essentially in the same location as the doorbell (just below or above it so it's touching the same mounting surface) does the signal change? Of course, two different devices may handle the same signal differently but it's worth a shot. You would also need to ensure that your phone is on the 2.4GHz connection since that's what the doorbell uses. Another thought would be to remove the doorbell from the mount so you can move it around a bit, as far as the wires allow. 

I'm just offering ideas since each environment and installation is different. Only testing would provide the solution.

DSinMO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, and thanks for the additional thoughts. I did take my smart phone and held it right next to the doorbell, above the doorbell and below the doorbell and saw no change in the WIFI signal strength on my phone.  Since I only have 1 network in my home my smart devices and doorbell have always been on the same network, but I have confirmed that very often. Also although I was confident my network was 2.4 I confirmed that with my ISP. Since there was no change in signal strength when I used my smart phone next to the doorbell I don't think moving it will help. plus the wires are so short I would need the extenders that came with the bell but I have no cavity to insert the wire nuts. 

Finally I agree the device could be faulty and I could return it for a different one, but since Arlo tech support has washed their hands of this problem, I will just return the unit for a refund, and this will be my first and last attempt at wireless home security devices. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation