Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Simple Wiring Diagram for 2 Video Doorbells (Front and Rear) + 1 Chime + 18v transformer

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Powercar
Guide
Guide
I have two doorbells connected to a mechanical chime. When I turn on both power kits both video doorbells stay active. However, the mechanical chime does not ring. But if I turn off one of the power kits the mechanical chime will work but one of the video doorbells will stop working eventually because it is not getting power. Do you have any ideas on how to fix this issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Powercar
Guide
Guide

Thank you for all your feedback. After about two weeks, everything has continued to work without any problems the resolution was using a 16v 30va transformer.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Powercar wrote:
I have two doorbells connected to a mechanical chime.

One connected between F (front) and T (transformer), and the other connected between R (rear) and T (transfomer)???

Powercar
Guide
Guide
That wiring is what I have plus a power kit on both.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Powercar wrote:
That wiring is what I have plus a power kit on both.

Ok, that is correctly wired then.

What are the voltage (V) and power (VA or A) specs for the transformer?

Powercar
Guide
Guide

The voltage says 16V and it looks like it says 10VA.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Powercar wrote:

The voltage says 16V and it looks like it says 10VA.

That should be enough but it is at the bottom end of the spec.  Your symptoms suggest there isn't quite enough power being delivered, so you could try replacing it with a 24V model that also has a higher VA rating.

Exchanging for AVD2001s might also be worth considering.  They don't need as much power (and don't use the power kits), because they are trickle-charging from the transformer.

Powercar
Guide
Guide
I have now switched the transformer from a 10VA 16v to a 30VA 16v and the doorbell is still not ringing.
Powercar
Guide
Guide
Here is a diagram of my wiring:
IMG_4679.png
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Powercar wrote:
I have now switched the transformer from a 10VA 16v to a 30VA 16v and the doorbell is still not ringing.

Your wiring is correct, and you certainly have more than enough VA.  

Are the symptoms the same (one doorbell+powerkit works, but both together don't)?

Do you have the ability to measure the voltage (either at the doorbell, or at the chime)?

BTW, does it matter which doorbell/powerkit is disconnected?

Powercar
Guide
Guide

Thank you for all your feedback. After about two weeks, everything has continued to work without any problems the resolution was using a 16v 30va transformer.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation