Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

Hello all,

I just bought 3/2/21, the Arlo wired video doorbell and I have Xfinity as a cable company. I also upgraded, at no cost....yeah, right, my gateway to 600 Mbps. 
On my Xfinity app, I can go to Port Forwarding and adjust/change settings, port number and range. I understand that the Arlo requests that 80 and 443 ports be “open”. 
My question is under those settings, should I just have port number at 80 and or put the range from 80 to 443? 
Thanks much! 

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In most situations, no changes are needed to open ports - they're already open. There have been cases of ISP-supplied routers configured in such a way to block access to Arlo servers so a call to the ISP is needed. If this is your router and you haven't set some security setting that could cause this (MAC filtering, for instance) you shouldn't need to do anything. If it turns out you do, only ports 80, 123 and 443 to arlo.com are needed. Test before making any router changes - it may not be necessary.

GordonScot
Guide
Guide

Thanks jguerdat! 
I asked as I was getting sporadic recordings in my library....some days fine, some not and I hadn’t changed any settings. I should have mentioned that I did up my firewall setting (on my xfinity gateway) to “medium”, default is “low”. Don’t know if that plays a role in communication between the Arlo and gateway? I’ve been playing with the sensitivity setting in the Arlo app, have it at 90 and seems to be good. 

And no, this isn’t my router, it’s Xfinity’s. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it works at all, the router is fine. Missing videos is different and likely implies a camera positioning and/or sensitivity setting issue which you've started working with.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation