Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Please help! Setting up second account for IOT - Devices not showing under Friend Account

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LegendsCoach
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am trying to set up an integration with Home Assistant. I have followed this tutorial.

Home Assistant ARLO Integration - YouTube

So far I have been able to set up the friend account (called House Account) and get through the authentication process in both Arlo and HA but the Friend account isn't showing any of the devices that I have so nothing is showing up in the HA integration. Can anyone walk me through how to add my devices to this friend account please?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Both accounts need to show the same user interface (UI). The app supports both the old UI that uses Library to view recordings while the new one uses Feed. A new user automatically gets the new UI/Feed so you may need to migrate your account to match. If that's the case, choose to install either the security system. Pro 5 or a new Essential 2 camera, all of which will cause the migration as the first step. It doesn't matter if you don't have any of the devices since all you need is to migrate and then just back out of the bogus install. Note that you can't go back to the old UI and custom modes don't transfer so you have to use the 3 default modes to do what you need.

Once migrated, the guest account needs to click on Home near the top of the screen and choose the bottom choice. Each user gets their own Home location so the guest needs to select yours. Renaming Home makes it easier to decide which one to choose.

LegendsCoach
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. That seemed to do the trick. One piece of confusion however and one further question. The confusion was that it was my original account that needed to be updated, not the new account as I originally assumed. Once I figured that out and ran through the steps on my old account, the devices all showed up. Now I have basically a blank location in addition to the shared location. I thought that I needed to mirror the location in the new friend account so I set one up. Is there any way to delete it 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No - it's required for each user's location. If you were to add your own cameras, they would show up in your Home, the one that's currently blank.

LegendsCoach
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. The purpose of the friend account is to enable my integration with Home Assistant (so I don’t bump myself out of my primary account).  Functionally the account is for only my use and the location is intended to duplicate the location setup in my primary account. Do I really need the blank location because it appears it is causing a problem on the home assistant side?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LegendsCoach wrote:

Do I really need the blank location because it appears it is causing a problem on the home assistant side?

There's no way to eliminate it.  Hopefully @JamesC will pass on the feedback that the extraneous location should be surpressed on "friend" accounts that don't have their own cameras.  In addition to your use case, it has created confusion for several people here.

No idea if this will help - but you can rename that location if you wish.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation