Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Please Stop Calling Me Doorbell!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Cwlcymro
Initiate
Initiate
I've just bought the wireless doorbell and it's been very frustrating so far.

My set up is:
- Google Home devices everywhere (Home Hubs, Home Minis, Nest Audio)
- No chime, as Google Homes announce doorbell
- Android phones (Pixels)

Everytime the doorbell is rung, my phone rings with the default ringtone. If I go to Silent mode in the app, my phone stops ringing but the Google Homes all stop announcing so the doorbell is totally silent.

There seems to be no way to:
- Tell it to stop calling me when I'm home
- Tell it to stop calling me altogether without it also stop notifying me through Google Homes
- Change the ringtone so I don't confuse it with phone calls

It feels like those would be incredible obvious features to have, but it seems impossible to do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I give up and send this thing back?
5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cwlcymro,

The Silent mode within the app is currently the only way to allow or silence doorbell calls on button press. The behavior you're describing is as designed, there isn't a way at this time to silence incoming calls and still receive notifications from your integrated Google devices. I will pass this feedback along to the development team for further consideration.

JamesC

Cwlcymro
Initiate
Initiate
Am I also to assume that making it impossible to change the ringtone so that doorbells don't sound exactly like a phone call is the product "working as designed"?

And that not using the geofencing technology Arlo has got in the cameras to stop your phone ringing when you're already home is also is a design choice?

(Honest questions by the way, as if the answer to all those is yes, and there's no plan to change any of this, it means I've absolutely bought the wrong product and I can return it knowing there's no intention to fix these weird design choices
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cwlcymro,

While some of the behaviors you mention could change with future updates, I don't have any information on that at this time. There are some internal discussions going on about these behaviors, so the feedback is certainly appreciated under consideration, but I can't make any promises on when that will happen or what those changes will ultimately look like.

JamesC

pinkfloydfr
Guide
Guide

" Tell it to stop calling me when I'm home"

I can confirm this is so annoying, the doorbell have a notion of "@home' & leave, but continue to call us when we are at home. This is a non sence to have not the option of disable this !

Please add a simple option for the call mode ( like the 'leave message' mode )

Thanks !

camman21
Tutor
Tutor

I absolutely want to reiterate this frustration. I have no interest in the doorbell calling me or taking messages, especially at home as I am walking to the door to greet someone. I would prefer to disable this in the app itself which would require zero effort from your backend engineers. Just have a setting that makes the current device stop ringing when disabled.

As a second feature, it would be great to have the call WITHOUT the ringing, for something like a wall mounted tablet. I already heard the chime. I don't need additional ringing. A tablet/hub can show the call without noise, or I can just walk to the door to answer.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation