Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SHDendy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Everyone

I'm sure this has been discussed before in some other iteration, but I am at my wits end and need to get my doorbell back ASAP.

My Electrician installed the Arlo Wired Video Doorbell per the websites' instructions, but no lights came on. He tested my old doorbell with chime that is original to the house first to make sure they were working then upgraded the transformer to 16-24v/10VA as per the specs. At first he used 16v and then changed to 24v but still no lights/power ... nothing happened. 

Anyway, I have no electrical knowledge, but started reading the discussion comments for a solution and others have installed 16-24v/30VA and 16-24v/40VA transformers with success so I am wondering if we should try a transformer with a higher VA. But if that works will the higher VA burn out the doorbell and chime? 

Also should I upgrade my chime to 24v so that it works with the new transformer? The house was built in the 1940's so this is the first time the transformer and chime have been replaced to my knowledge. Is there a chime that you recommend? 

Any assistance with this matter is greatly appreciated. 

Happy New Year

Sharon

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SHDendy wrote:

so I am wondering if we should try a transformer with a higher VA. But if that works will the higher VA burn out the doorbell and chime? 

The VA rating is the most power the transformer can deliver - so using a higher VA shouldn't burn out the doorbell.

But you should be seeing some sign of power.  So maybe start with a factory reset: https://kb.arlo.com/000062346/How-do-I-reset-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell

If that doesn't help, then I suggest exchanging the doorbell.  Exchange with the seller if you can, as that is much easier than arranging an RMA with Arlo support.

SHDendy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response.

I purchased the video doorbell through Arlo awhile ago and due to some unforseen family challenges was not able to install so it's definitely too late to return. As a result, we will try another transformer with a higher VA and also the reset. And if that doesn't work I will reach out to Arlo Support for their help.  

Do you also recommend changing the chime so that it's compatible with the new transformer? If so where can I find a list?

Best

Sharon

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SHDendy wrote:

Do you also recommend changing the chime so that it's compatible with the new transformer? If so where can I find a list?

Unfortunately, Arlo doesn't provide a list.  Ring does (and anything that works with Ring should work with Arlo).  https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/209028546-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Pro-Chime-Kit-Compatibility...

The AVD1001 should have come with a power kit.  Did you install that?  One thing you could try is changing the switch to "O" - which is bypass mode.  That will divert all power away from the chime - which would let you know if the issue is actually a failure of the chime.   You could also disconnect the doorbell, and touch the two leads together. If the chime sounds, then the transformer and the chime are both ok.

SHDendy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again. 

The power kit is currently installed on the existing chime (front & trans connections), but because there is no power nothing happens. Also my chime is original to the house (built 1940s) and there is a sticker that says it will only work with the same brand 16v transformer. So maybe it would be wise to purchase a 24v chime just in case. 

Anyway, hopefully a new transformer with a higher VA will resolve all issues, but we will look at the chime too and appreciate the recommendations. 

Will circle back with an update soon. 

Happy New Year

Sharon

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SHDendy wrote:

The power kit is currently installed on the existing chime (front & trans connections), but because there is no power nothing happens.

The question is "why is there no power"?

Possible answers are

1. doorbell is defective
  2. chime has failed
  3. transformer has failed
  4. wiring has a break in it
  5. mains power is not reaching the transformer (circuit breaker tripped, or similar)

The electrician likely has already ruled out 2-5.

Still, putting the power kit into bypass mode (by setting its switch to "O") would let you know if (2) is the cause.  All the power will flow through the power kit, and none will flow to the chime.  So if the chime has failed (or is incompatible), then the doorbell should light up when you switch to bypass mode.  

SHDendy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great information that even I can understand! 🙂

My electrician performed the factory reset and the power kit is set at "O" (bypass) so it sounds like I have a defective doorbell.  But I will relay this info to my electrician to confirm and figure out next steps to resolve.

Thanks again!

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation