Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Video Doorbell with 8V Chime - UK Installation

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 1 In Conversation
Rograt
Star
Star

Hi all

I am having a porch built this week and have just received my Video Doorbell.

For those interested the doorbell comes with a DIN rail (as in fits an electricity consumer unit) transformer with 8V, 12V and 24V outputs.

Luckily I have a secondary consumer unit to put the transformer in near the porch and am starting the wiring from scratch.

The Video Doorbell clearly states it requires 16-24V so there’s no point trying to get away with the 8V or 12V outputs. 

In anticipation of all of this I bought a 24V AC DIN rail relay and it is my intention to switch the 8V transformer supply to my chime with the relay. The relay will therefore appear like a 24V doorbell to the system.

So my questions are, 1) any reason why this wouldn’t work? 2) Is there an easier way? 

Please help. In return I will share my findings as I go along to help others. A schematic would be ideal!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rograt
Star
Star
Well the test rig actually works. It’s basically a 24v circuit with everything in series EXCEPT the power kit which is in parallel with the coil of the relay. If you have a conventional doorbell the 8V relay output goes to 0 and 3 of the bell.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rograt
Star
Star
Well the test rig actually works. It’s basically a 24v circuit with everything in series EXCEPT the power kit which is in parallel with the coil of the relay. If you have a conventional doorbell the 8V relay output goes to 0 and 3 of the bell.
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 1 In Conversation