Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo Video Doorbell

Discussion stats
BTTally
Initiate
Initiate

I'm trying to find out more about the Video Doorbell that was just announced: in particular, how does it integrate with an existing Arlo setup (does the Video Doorbell work with all Arlo cameras and base station models?), and does it work with the Arlo Basic service or do you have to subscribe to an Arlo Smart service after 90 days?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Video Doorbell comes with a 3 months free trial of Arlo Smart, which enables users to store their videos in the cloud for up to 30 days. After the included 3-month trial of Arlo Smart, users can continue storing their videos in the cloud with a paid subscription, which they can view from anywhere through the Arlo App.

JamesC

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BTTally,

The Arlo Video doorbell is not yet available for purchase. Stay tuned for more information to be available closer to release.

JamesC

Sentry_Turret
Star
Star

I also want to know if it'll work with my existing basic free service.  If it does, I'm going to get one.  If it requires a monthly service fee then I'm going to look elsewhere.

jsturess
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC Will it be possible to use the Arlo Chime for this Video Doorbell?

Pinozul
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've got essentially the same questions as BTTally.  Primarily, I'm trying to understand what interaction there would be, if any, between the new Video Doorbell and my existing VMB4000 base station.  Since the Video Doorbell is now listed on your website for sale, I would think that Arlo has this information and could provide it to potential customers.  It's difficult to imagine that the functionality of the device is still in flux and subject to design changes at this point.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Video Doorbell comes with a 3 months free trial of Arlo Smart, which enables users to store their videos in the cloud for up to 30 days. After the included 3-month trial of Arlo Smart, users can continue storing their videos in the cloud with a paid subscription, which they can view from anywhere through the Arlo App.

JamesC

TimPerry
Star
Star

James, HE's asking "integrate with an existing Arlo setup (does the Video Doorbell work with all Arlo cameras and base station models?"... 

I believe what you meant to say is that it does not integrate with an existing Arlo system as it is stand alone and wires into your existing home WIFI system, not the Arlo WIFI; correct?

What amazes me is that Arlo's releasing this and it's not compatible with the Chime so it renders useless the other components of an Arlo system related to the doorbell.. 

Ride2
Initiate
Initiate

I agree. I am bummed. I was holding off on buying a Ring so that I would have an integrated system. Now that I know that this will not integrate with my existing system I will just go with a ring. Same monthly price and 2x the storage. Not that I really need 2x storage, it’s more due the principle. 😕😕😕

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ride2 wrote:

... Now that I know that this will not integrate with my existing system ...

FWIW, we don't know that.  Though perhaps the answer will depend on what you mean by "integration".

No matter how it connects to the Arlo cloud, it would be managed from the same account, and use the same app/web client.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Video Doorbell can be added to your existing Arlo account but operates as a standalone product as it does not require a base station or SmartHub, similar to other Arlo wired camera products like Arlo Q and Arlo Baby. Arlo Video Doorbell can cross-trigger actions on other Arlo devices within Arlo’s ecosystem when motion detection occurs.

JamesC

kahroo
Initiate
Initiate

Are there plans to have the Arlo Video doorbell work with the Chime?

Ceophoto
Guide
Guide

But the bottom line is that the doorbell does not have 7 days free storage as the cameras come with....not worth it...there are other more appealing options coming that all storage is free.....namely the Netatmo doorbell, and ring is the current standard

BTTally
Initiate
Initiate

Yup - same bottom line for me.  If the service for the Doorbell worked like the Cameras, I would have probably have jumped on it to replace my current Skybell HD and have a single app experience.  While I understand Arlo needs to make money, there isn't enough value for me to need to pay more on an ongoing basis to have the doorbell video feed together with my Arlo camera feeds in a single app.

DaveArlo27
Guide
Guide

I'm thinking of getting a video doorbell from Arlo, however I've been a bit put off from getting this due to it requiring a subscription. But first I"d ask never-the-less, but think I know the answer. I have 3 Arlo cameras, I have the Pro 2 models. The base station that I have is connected to 7 day free cloud storage, which works fine, and I have an external hard drive to allow me access to these videos if I need. My question is - does the Video Doorbell link into saving the videos on the external hard drive? (I presume not, because I see you bypass the base station right?).

If this is the case that there is a subscription, I will look at alternative providers, which don't have a subscription, but would be good to find out officially what the situation is / or will Customers of Arlo Pro 2 who get free 7 day video recording be able to couple this onto their already free offering? 'as someone noted, I understand you guys need to make money'.  Thank you in advance.

Ceophoto
Guide
Guide
You do not get 7 free days of video. You must get a subscription for any storage. Does not work like the cameras you have. I would rather pay more for the doorbell and get the 7 days
DaveArlo27
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the reply. If that’s the case I will rather pay a bit more and get no strings attached. Thanks for confirming.
Destincrlist
Initiate
Initiate

Agree with above. I’ve been waiting for the Arlo video doorbell to add to my existing Arlo environment. I have the original Arlo system and was hoping to upgrade to an Arlo 2 for better cameras all around. However, if the video doorbell doesn’t offer the same 7 day storage so I can view whomever was at my front porch (or whomever stole my Amazon package!) at a later date, it isn’t a good buy.

I’m disappointed but will be buying a competing product, only because of the lack of free 7-day storage. 

gduck24
Guide
Guide

Got on here to figure out why the doorbell is not under my hub, and I have to arm and disarm it separately.  Make sense now, since it is stand alone.  I didnt read that it required a subscription, but now regretting not knowing that.  I would have much rather paid extra upfront to have this integrate like my existing cameras for modes and groups and 7 days free storage.  I dont need the other extra crap in their smart plans. 

roc-noc
Initiate
Initiate

Agreed. I wasn't aware that a paid subscription was required.  I'll be returning my 2 new video doorbells that just arrived to Best Buy.

m3tro
Initiate
Initiate

I can't understand why no one from Arlo (Community Manager, etc) won't confirm that you won't have the same 7-day free video storage.  It's OVERWHELMINGLY apparent from users that hardly anyone at all is interested in a subscription service.  Add me to that list.  I was going to buy in a heartbeat over Ring until I saw a subscription is required.  Lost opportunity in my opinion.  I like Arlo, but will be looking elsewhere.  Arlo...ditch the required subscription and stick w/ the 7-days free as your other products.  You're losing money and your community is losing interest.  😞

gduck24
Guide
Guide

Are the baby and other stand alone cameras subscription only?

doorbell does not work with smartthings like a regular camera.  Can't add it to smarthings at all. 

doc63
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo missed the mark by not integrating the Video Door Bell  with existing Arlo base stations and requiring subscriptions to access the content. I will buy a competitors product instead.

ATL_VM
Initiate
Initiate

Don't know what genius decided that the Arlo Video Camera is not part of the same group with Arlo Camera \ LED light, that's just unequivocally dumb.  Doesn't matter if it integrates with the camera hub, but I have to wonder why THAT is a problem?!?!?  Wireless is not viable anymore?  It can still have a module to connect to what I *ALREADY* have...

Not only is this basis to simply get some other camera it defeats the ENTIRE point of having an Arlo *system* at all!

This is insane.  Much like other users have stated been waiting for 2 years for Arlo to FINALLY come up with a camera and THIS is what we get?  WOW!  This is the best that can be done.. in all this time in R&D?  LOL

I am now only NOT going to buy an Arlo Video Doorbell because (like other users also have said) Ring is still better and I would RATHER buy some OTHER system at this point even if I have to start completely over.

We started down this road to a better camera and you hooked me on the cameras, even if they are expensive because I figured it would be great once all the components were in place, but NO!

Well sayonara Arlo, you lost a customer.  Not even going to upgrade any of my existing cameras just buying all new with someone ELSE.  

This is just beyond ridiculous.. you make us wait and THEN expect the device to be configured SEPARATE?  I think the CEO \ CIO needs an IQ test, clearly they are not thinking this through.

joe4l44
Initiate
Initiate

I agree with the discussion to date. I do have and love my cameras and base station. ARLO is asking for ideas on the website. Here's an idea.. Make a wireless doorbell that can integrate with our current purchased products. 

TimPerry
Star
Star

Man.. crybabies everywhere! If you don't like it, don't buy it.. but I don't need to get emails of you bleed tears all over my emails.. 

For myself.. I'm quite happy with the Arlo Video Doorbell.. it works just fine and I have no issues arming both systems.. they work fine together and serve my purpose. And that's it.. I'm not going to blow up your email with crybaby ramblings..

Discussion stats