Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Issues adding Video Doorbell to existing Ultra system

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
maimee_bergeson
Tutor
Tutor

New installation of VMB5000r5 basestation with 4 paired Ultra Cameras. Attempting to add video doorball. Pre-sale research seemed simple to install. Not so much.

Measured 20vac  transformer. One lit doorbell. Chime box upstairs with Front|Back|Trans terminals. Basement chime box connected so it rings, too. 2.4/5GHz intranet wireless and 2.4/5Ghz public wireless broadcast SSIDs available.

1) First attempt phone app originally came with public 5GHz SSID, I changed it to the intranet 5GHz SSD. All seemed to go well until phone app couldn't find the doorbell on a 5GHz SSID. Sat and spun for 10_minutes. Chime did not work.

2) While preparing for a second attempt I noticed a humming from basement chime. Disconnecting "power unit" did not help. Put the original doorbell back and hum went away and chime works.

Since the original doorbell is lit, it is getting constant voltage, right? With high resistance? When the button is pushed, it shorts and passes the current to the chime. As others have asked: what does the "power unit" even do? If its to ensure constant power supply, isn't that already being done since the doorbell lights up?

I will try again tonight and repeat the whole installation.

It seems Arlo has some great ideas and decent hardware, but I'm wondering if the system is ready for prime time. Its amazing to me that the VM5000 seems to not have its own web browser interface and the phone app is used for everything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

maimee_bergeson,

If you're using two chime boxes you will also need 2 power kits, 1 for each chime box. This is likely the reason you're experiencing an issue. I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information.

JamesC

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

maimee_bergeson,

If you're using two chime boxes you will also need 2 power kits, 1 for each chime box. This is likely the reason you're experiencing an issue. I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation