Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
arlouser121119
Star
Star

How do I change the confusing ringtone when someone pressed the doorbell? We do not want to use same ringtone as the one for incoming phone calls, this is ridiculously confusing.

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlouser121119,

Currently, Arlo Video Doorbell uses the default ringtone on your mobile device when a doorbell call comes through. I will pass this feedback along to the development team for consideration.

JamesC

Jshoe
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is this ever going to be addressed. I have the audio doorbell. It would also be nice to have a firmware update so the volume could go a tad louder on the speaker. It's a simple feature. Sometimes you don't want to see whose calling. There should be an option for the doorbell sound.
Jamesdean1974
Apprentice
Apprentice
Can this feature please be added?
It is very annoying that the video doorbell uses the same ringtone as incoming calls. It would be nice to add specific ringtone/notification to the video doorbell. Furthermore it is possible for my wife to set to silent mode with chime enabled ( Android ) and not for me (iOS). Will this be added tot iOS as well?
Martijnd
Initiate
Initiate
Yes, indeed, very confusing: ringtone doorbell is the same as standard incoming call.
You mentioned it would be passed through to development team. It's July 2020 now, can you ask how long it will take? Thanks
ryangunther
Tutor
Tutor
+1. Just migrated from skybell to arlo video doorbell and considering going back already. Can't stand the fact that my wife (iOS) can change the ringtone for doorbell calls, but i cannot on Android. I have bbsitter with kids at home during the day and live in a neighborhood full of kids who ring our doorbell 20 times a day - and I can't keep getting interrupted at work by having to constantly check my phone thinking it is legitimate phone calls. I need to audibly differentiate my normal phone calls & video doorbell calls!
s_tohm
Initiate
Initiate

I see this thread was started a several months ago.  It does seem to be an issue that is an easy fixed.  I also don't like that the motion notification can't be set to a unique sound.

HugoDK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well! Will we soon get that update about "Currently, Arlo Video Doorbell uses the default ringtone", want to select my own ringtones - Thanks!

Kyleresq
Tutor
Tutor
We just got our doorbell and the lack of the ability to set a different ringtone is ridiculous. This is like 2005 level technology and we can't figure it out?
weidago
Aspirant
Aspirant
Do we have a timeline now?
This is an simple but important feature
Thanks
robertox
Guide
Guide

I just did this yesterday for my parents.

It's a setting in your phone's operating system, not the Arlo app.

For iPhone - which is what my folks use -

1) Open the Phone app

2) Click on "Recent" calls

3) Look for any call from something like "Arlo Doorbell"

4) Click on the i-in-the-circle for "information" and select "Create New Contact" from the information menu

5) Once the contact is created, "Edit" the contact (upper right corner)

6) in the Edit menu, scroll down to "Ringtone" and change it from "Default" to whatever you want.

This was on an iPhone 6 with iOS 14, and written from memory. If I find the link the instructions I used yesterday, I'll add them here.

Jamesdean1974
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately it does not work for me on iPhone 11 ios14.
Keeps ringing on standard ringtone.
robertox
Guide
Guide

@Jamesdean1974 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately it does not work for me on iPhone 11 ios14.
Keeps ringing on standard ringtone.

Are you able to change the ringtones for any of your contacts?

As critical as I am of Arlo, this seems like an issue with your phone and not Arlo.

Jamesdean1974
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes I am.
I can change any ringtones of “ normal” contacts. The arlo keeps ringing on the standard.
ryangunther
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks - Unfortunately, this option only works for iPhone, and not android OS.

Jamesdean1974
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have iPhone 11. And it does not work for me as well....
JINXEDD
Initiate
Initiate
Just installed our new video doorbell. So disappointed that it defaults to your phone ringtone & you can't differentiate between a call and the doorbell. Appalled to see this is a known issue from over a year ago!
Leonie73
Initiate
Initiate
What is the status on resolving this issue? It is really frustrating not being able to change the ringtone.
s_tohm
Initiate
Initiate

You don't.  This is an issue that has been presented to Arlo for a couple years.  They don't care.  I wish I would have never purchased this doorbell.

billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well fortunately I only just purchased this through Amazon along with another $600 worth of cameras, probably just going to throw it all in a plastic bag, get a return scan from Amazon, hand it off to the UPS Store and continue searching for something that's actually worth owning. About pathetic.

Really not sure how these Arlo products are rated so high from what I'm experiencing in the last 3 days.

robertox
Guide
Guide

As I noted above, I do not have a problem with my iPhone.  Custom ringtones work fine.   Custom ringtones on the iPhone are set in the contacts of the Phone app.

However, I cannot change the chime on my iPad.  There does not appear to be a setting for this in the Arlo App.  And the iPad does not have the iPhone's Phone app to change the ringtone.

It's not a deal killer.  But it is an annoyance.

- Sunday July 18 2021 -

gblenko
Initiate
Initiate

PLEASE prioritize this feature. It seems like a fairly logical and basic feature request. Most apps let you customize the ringtone of any notifications on your phone.

KBDV
Initiate
Initiate

Different ringtone is a basic feature of any app, but especially important for a doorbell.

Is there a voting mechanism whereby we can vote for this feature to be added ?

dryheat122
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want this too

GCN1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree.  I would like this feature too.   Arlo should fix this.  COME ON -- It's not that hard!     

Discussion stats