Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
TBerry
Tutor
Tutor

Cleaning exterior of home, water spray around a wired doorbell.  After I finished I noticed a high pitched sound coming from the doorbell.  Damn, I got it wet.  This was a week ago.  I thought it might dry out and stop, but it has not.   All functions of the doorbell work, but that high pitched sound persists.  How can I stop it, or have I permanently damaged the unit?  

19 REPLIES 19
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You might try the old cell phone drying trick (stick it into a bunch of rice to absorb any moisture) but I'm not sure it would help. You might want to contact official support for a possible RMA.

Dgmi
Apprentice
Apprentice

you’ld think it’s waterproof being that it’s an outside device.

Let us know how it goes, am in the market for some doorbell cameras myself. trying to decide between the wired vs wifi

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be fair, Arlo cameras are weather-RESISTANT, not weather-PROOF. There can be conditions that could allow water infiltration.

BTW, I happen to prefer the wireless doorbells as long as you either connect it to existing wiring (to trickle charge the battery) or have a second battery to swap when the doorbell battery needs charging.

Dgmi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you.

Appreciate the feedback 😊

Dgmi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do you happen to know if the doorbell wifi camera batteries and ultra2 batteries are the same/interchangable?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WAY different - the doorbell battery is flatter and much higher capacity. They take ~6 hours to charge because of the capacity difference which is why a second battery is useful so the doorbell is always available.

hallra
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting the same thing from my wired doorbell cam.  Just noticed it today.  no idea what could have caused it.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is it when you are watching the live video or is it just continuously making that sound?

TBerry
Tutor
Tutor

Sound is constant at the doorbell.  Sound does not appear on video  from the doorbell cam

hallra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Its Constant has nothing to do with viewing or playback.  Infact I can't hear it when I playback a recording or monitor live.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@hallra can you get a video of the sound with the time stamp on it please. Also where is your doorbell installed?

KSArloNE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue. High Pitch (HP) is constant. No audio is recorded on video captures.  When watching live, can hear the HP noise.  
Camera is under a covered porch. 
Tried rebooting (restart button).  Tried resetting=pain! Wouldn’t connect forever.

Unattached the wires,reattached, relinked and still hear it.

This is my 2nd unit (and last). First one just quit.

i really love/ed these. What is going on?  If it can be fixed or replaced=awesome!  Please help.  Have been paying the subscription since the beginning. 

KSArloNE
Aspirant
Aspirant

If an outside doorbell can’t handle rain, that’s a significant problem.  Here in Nebraska, with the storms we get (in tornado alley), the winds can push rain sideways.  

KSArloNE
Aspirant
Aspirant

I replayed multiple captures, only the HP noise can be heard.  Used to be able to hear everything and clear.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe try taking the doorbell down, and see if you can dry it out?

I guess you could also try a reset.  If you want to do that, then remove it from the account, and use the reset pin in the back of the doorbell.

hallra
Aspirant
Aspirant

@BrookeN 

Where do you want it sent?  Here to a post or someplace else?

Installed under a covered porch never touched by water.  I live in the midwest so it is exposed to high humidity in the summer but I would think this should be a sealed unit that should have no issue 1.  getting rained on from time to time 2. Handleing high levels of humidity.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hallra wrote:

Where do you want it sent?  Here to a post or someplace else?

Send it to @BrookeN using the private message (PM) facility.  Click on the envelope in the upper right hand of the forum page.

Best to put the video into cloud storage ( google drive, dropbox, etc), and include a link to this thread and also a download link for the video. Make sure the link allows anyone with the link to download.

hallra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks,

@BrookeN  PM Sent.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing that information. I will be in touch soon. 

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation