Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
atlasdrums
Aspirant
Aspirant

This will be my last try with the video doorbell that I recently installed to replace my Ring. I have 3 Arlo Pro cameras and a Floodlight Camera connected via Arlo hub. I wanted to move to a single ecosystem, so I decided to replace my Ring doorbell with the Arlo Video Doorbell. It connected to by hub perfectly, and the live video is great. However, the issue comes up when someone rings the bell and I receive the Arlo call on my phone. When I answer the call, I can hear live audio but I am unable to see live video. Instead all I see is a gray screen and a spinning circle. I found a few prior discussions on the topic from 2019, but none of ideas proposed resolved the issue. I reached out to Arlo support three times, but have been unsuccessful. The first time, the rep promised a follow up, but I never received one. The second time, we were disconnected from chat. The third time, the rep told me it was a software issue, and that I should reinstall the Ring, (?!?!?!), but no details on what the software issue is or how to resolve it. Surely, most people with this doorbell do not have this issue. Why am I having this issue? 

My setup:

- 3 Arlo Pro cameras connected via Arlo Hub

- 1 Arlo Floodlight Cam connected via Arlo Hub

- 1 Arlo Video Doorbell connected via Arlo Hub

- Netgear Nighthawk router

- Iphone X and XI

- All firmware and software updated to latest version, including router. 

- Rock solid Gigabit cable internet.

Troubleshooting so far:

- Removed and reinstalled the doorbell in Arlo app

- Hard reset of Arlo doorbell

- Lowered video quality

- Allowed location to be always used by Arlo app

- Tried to connect doorbell via Wifi instead of hub, but have been unsuccessful after multiple tries, so I skipped this and went back to the hub.

- When I scan the QR code to connect via wifi, I get a chime, but the doorbell never connects, and I have to hard reset  the doorbell. 

I can't devote too much more time to this, so I'll give this one more try. Has anything tried anything differently from what I have tried that worked? If Arlo can't get this core functionality in place I'm going to try a completely different ecosystem. 

12 REPLIES 12
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

atlasdrums,

Given the troubleshooting steps you've already taken, this could indicate a deeper issue with the device.

I've escalated your support ticket and requested a status update. An agent will reach out to you as soon as possible.

JamesC

Champs
Tutor
Tutor

I have this same issue - no video just grey screen with circle when the door bell is pressed. The video however still gets saved to the smarthub SD? Seem this device is very buggy still.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Champs,

Try reducing the resolution in your video doorbell settings: How do I adjust the video settings on my Arlo Video Doorbell?

If you're still experiencing an issue, please reach out to Arlo Support Team to further investigate.

JamesC

atlasdrums
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James - thanks for the reply. No one from support has reached out to me yet. How long should I expect to wait?

Champs
Tutor
Tutor
Hi James,

Tried that no good can’t see why the resolution would be the issue there is no issue streaming through the app at full res - seems almost certainly a software problem??
adholguin
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem here!

I get the call on my device but when i answer i can only listen. Video gets stuck on the gray screen... any help? i just bought this product a few months ago. 

Thanks!

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
I am having a similar issue. When it’s connected I hear choppy audio, and the video takes a while to come clear from gray screen. The video recording to the cloud seem to be choppy now and then as well.

Live view seems to not be affected. Just when the doorbell is pressed and connecting to the app and recordings

@ShayneS
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If reducing the resolution through your doorbells video settings does not resolve the issue. please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Honestly, I will try that.

But, I shouldn’t have to suddenly “lower the resolution” when the device has worked fine until about a few weeks ago. Also, the live view starts up and works really well, issue seems only when the button is pressed.

Is it possible this is another issue with the most recent app updates? Like all the other issues along with it...
Champs
Tutor
Tutor
Have to say this problem seems very wide spread and has been ongoing for some time - why hasn’t this fundamental issue been fixed? The whole point of video bell is the video call when pressed, this device functions like a low res Arlo camera at best at the moment
atlasdrums
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James...still waiting on a response from support. How long should I expect to wait?

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Since iOS arlo app 2.20 has been released the arlo video doorbell has been working correctly again, also at full resolution.

Clearly this was not a resolution issue and was part of the many app issues involved with version 2.19.

Hope others have the same results I do.
Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation