Getting Started

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CZeledon
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I wanted to get a wired video doorbell that allowed for local storage without a subscription, and also allowed videos to my phone through an app, what pieces of equipment would I need? Thank you. I currently don't own anything Arlo.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CZeledon wrote:

If I wanted to get a wired video doorbell that allowed for local storage without a subscription, and also allowed videos to my phone through an app, what pieces of equipment would I need? Thank you. I currently don't own anything Arlo.

You'd need the AVD1001 or the AVD2001 doorbell, combined with a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 smarthub.  The VMB4540 would need a thumb drive for storage, the VMB5000 would need a microsd card.  No need to go overboard on the amount of storage - I find that 128 GB is more than enough.  So I suggest something in the 128-512 GB range.

There are a number of limitations to the local storage (which I think are quite intentional).  So not the best experience.  Limitations include

• local recordings only available in the app, not the browser
  • local recordings cannot be shared - so you could see them, but not other family using "friend" accounts.
  • no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • no thumbnails, the videos need to be downloaded to your phone before you can see anything
  • remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult, and which don't work with some internet service providers.
CZeledon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the info! I have some follow up questions. If the local storage was only needed in case of an issue (example is someone stealing a package), it sounds like the limitations would still allow for me to download the video to my phone, and then share it with the proper people. Does that sound correct? Would the doorbell suggested be good enough to allow for real time viewing of who is at the door/communication with them for both myself and my wife using the app? Thank you again for the information.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CZeledon wrote:

it sounds like the limitations would still allow for me to download the video to my phone, and then share it with the proper people. Does that sound correct? 

Correct.  You could also eject the storage from the smarthub, and connect it to a PC.

Note the app only shows 30 days of local storage, even when more recordings are saved.  But you can find them all when you connect the storage to the PC.

@CZeledon wrote:

Would the doorbell suggested be good enough to allow for real time viewing of who is at the door/communication with them for both myself and my wife using the app? Thank you again for the information.

The two doorbells I listed are the only two that can connect through a smarthub (which is needed for local storage).  

You can livestream the doorbell whenever you wish, and it will call your phones when someone pressed the button.

Recordings will only be available on one of the apps, the other would be using a friend account - and as noted above, playback of the local recordings is only possible from the primary account. 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation