Fix for Granting Friend Access

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mpaquette70
Tutor
Tutor

I spent hours reading posts last night about how to resolve "Friend" not being able to view video feed even though they were invited and accepted the invitation but was unable to find a solution.

Through the Arlo app on my iPhone I sent an invitation.  The friend received the email invitation and clicked on the link in the email.  They created their own Arlo account but when they view the web dashboard they are unable to add any widgets nor can they see any devices.

How do you resolve this?

Apparently you cannot have two people using the same account to view/use the Arlo app at the same time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mpaquette70 wrote:

My friend cannot get notifications because there are no devices listed that would notify of an event.

The notifications are set up on your side, not the friend account.  So they should be getting them if the invite was accepted.

@mpaquette70 wrote:

I am once again disappointed in the difficulty of getting devices set up and working across multiple devices and users.

FWIW, the friend account issues are definitely a mess.  I don't think Arlo realized the compatibility issue with friend accounts when they first began rolling out "feed".  Also, I think the number of issues people had with "feed" caught them by surprise - they were clearly planning that everyone would be migrated to "Feed" by now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mpaquette70 wrote:

Through the Arlo app on my iPhone I sent an invitation.  The friend received the email invitation and clicked on the link in the email. 

Start by checking that the invitation is shown as accepted in your account. If it doesn't, then have the friend click on the "create account" link on a PC.  That will open the browser to my.arlo.com.  From there, they just log in (making sure they also complete the two factor authentication check).

After you've confirmed that the invitation is accepted, then see if your app shows "Library" at the bottom, or if it shows "Feed" and "Dashboard".  Do the same check on the friend's system (though if the friend sees the option for widgets, they must be showing "Feed" and "Dashboard").

If the friend account shows "Feed", then your account also needs to show "Feed".

You can force your account to move to feed by going into "add device", and starting to add a Pro 5s camera.  Obviously this can't be completed, since you don't own the camera.  But the process will migrate you to "Feed" anyway.

mpaquette70
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo app shows Library at the bottom.

I am hesitant to go through with adding the 5s camera as you suggested because I am at a screen that says the following:

Doorbell Chime

* Not Currently Supported

-A firmware update is not available at this time.  Please check back later for firmware availability under Device Settings.

I do have an Upgrade Anyways button but I am unsure if this is going to render my Doorbell Chime (Arlo Chime 2) unusable.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mpaquette70 wrote:

I do have an Upgrade Anyways button but I am unsure if this is going to render my Doorbell Chime (Arlo Chime 2) unusable.

I don't use the chime myself, so I don't know how much you will lose if you upgrade now,

If you don't upgrade, the friend account will still get notifications.  So you could just wait a while until the chime is supported in Feed.  Maybe give Arlo another month, and see if they get to it.

mpaquette70
Tutor
Tutor

If you don't upgrade, the friend account will still get notifications.

My friend cannot get notifications because there are no devices listed that would notify of an event.

This is my second round with using Arlo products and I am once again disappointed in the difficulty of getting devices set up and working across multiple devices and users.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mpaquette70 wrote:

The notifications are set up on your side, not the friend account.  So they should be getting them if the invite was accepted.

@mpaquette70 wrote:

I am once again disappointed in the difficulty of getting devices set up and working across multiple devices and users.

FWIW, the friend account issues are definitely a mess.  I don't think Arlo realized the compatibility issue with friend accounts when they first began rolling out "feed".  Also, I think the number of issues people had with "feed" caught them by surprise - they were clearly planning that everyone would be migrated to "Feed" by now.

mpaquette70
Tutor
Tutor

Curious to know:

Did Library replace Feed or did Feed replace Library?  Which one is newer?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Feed is newer due to the support for the security system and Pro 5. The recently announced Essential 2 cameras will likely need this, too.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation