Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Essential video doorbell does not activate existing door chime

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Geoff23
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wired essential doorbell worked perfectly fine for several months.  However, now it does not activate the existing door chime anymore.  The app says the chime is "not connected".  I've tried switching it to mechanical or digital.  

It still alerts my phone when someone rings the doorbell and I can still hear and see things at the door when using the app.  The firmware is up to date.  I have tried logging onto the website and adjusting the settings.  I've removed the doorbell panel and did a factory reset by pressing the button.  I've removed and added the doorbell via the app.  

I've adjusted the power kit many times and checked the wiring for the three wires.   Our existing chime is hard wired.  No batteries.  

The existing chime will not sound.  I like the Arlo products but I'm pretty frustrated at this point. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Geoff23 wrote:

My wired essential doorbell worked perfectly fine for several months.  However, now it does not activate the existing door chime anymore. 

Did you try removing the doorbell, and then briefly touching the two wires together?  The chime should sound when you do this.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please try these troubleshooting steps to see if that helps the chime behavior. If it does not resolve it, reach back out for further assistance. 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062771/My-existing-chime-does-not-ring-when-I-press-my-Wire-Free-Arlo-Video-D...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Geoff23 wrote:

My wired essential doorbell worked perfectly fine for several months.  However, now it does not activate the existing door chime anymore. 

Did you try removing the doorbell, and then briefly touching the two wires together?  The chime should sound when you do this.

Geoff23
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.  No, it did not at first, but then the chime would intermittently work.  I checked the wires, respliced and switched it.  And now it works!   

I figured that it had to do with the power unit or the doorbell communicating to the wifi (e.g. removing and adding a device to the system).  

Thank you so much for your help!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation