Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell not ringing

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've a video doorbell that is wired and is not connected to a chime.

All seemed to work well at the start, but then I realised it was not ringing when the button was pressed. I'd do a reset and it would ring again, for a while, then stop.

When working, my android phone answers and my Google home tells me someone is at the door. 

I get motion alerts and the library shows them. But I don't see any alert or history of the missed rings. Does the library indicate if someone pressed on the doorbell?

I bought a chime which arrived to day. And that's when I found out it needs a base station.

Quite frustrating.

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tiggerito wrote:

I bought a chime which arrived to day. And that's when I found out it needs a base station.

You must have purchased the original chime.  See if you can exchange it for the Chime 2.

Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

Chime 2 was not available when I ordered, and I saw nothing out Chime 1s requirements of a base station.

I'll see if I can get it swapped. 

I suspect this will not help. From what I see the doorbell does not even register the ring and none of my devices respond to it. Just motions. 

Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interestingly, I have a dual wi-fi system and I think the mobile does not get notified if it is on a different one to the doorbell.

I'm testing it daily and it seems to have worked for a few days now outside of the wi-fi issue.

Does this mean notifications also don't work if I'm roaming? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tiggerito wrote:

Interestingly, I have a dual wi-fi system and I think the mobile does not get notified if it is on a different one to the doorbell.

Does this mean notifications also don't work if I'm roaming? 

It should work just fine after setup, no matter how the phone connects to the internet.  It's easy to test, just turn off the mobile wifi.

Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great idea. I just did a bunch of tests.

At the moment my Homey (home automation) seems to respond every time and broadcasts a message via Google home.

I tested my android with/without wifi. Both worked sometimes. It seems to work about half the time, other times no response at all, sometimes just the motion detection.

At least it seems that my home can tall me someone called.

Is the system meant to log in the library when people ring. I only see motions?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tiggerito wrote:

Is the system meant to log in the library when people ring. I only see motions?

The doorbell doesn't record when people ring the doorbell, only when motion is detected.

It would be a nice option, as some people only want recordings when the doorbell is rung.

Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

At the moment it seems my Google Assistant is doing well at saying "There's someone at the door" which means I know when it's pressed.

Phone is still hit and miss at answering but I did manage to catch a delivery due to it when I was around the corner. So a win there.

It's good enough.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation