Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
DD7
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just installed the AVD1001B wired video doorbell... going through all settings and tests. The test featured triggered the mechanical doorbell but the doorbell itself isn’t triggering the mechanical doorbell. If it works during the tests (the tests that the app walks you through during the install process) tells me the everything is installed correctly and that there is an issue with the doorbell device or firmware. It is a bit hot being in direct sunlight but I just installed it so it hasn’t been baking hours in the sun. Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
DD7
Aspirant
Aspirant
Update: Continued to test the operations of the new doorbell throughout the day. Even in the evening after the sun had moved off of the doorbell, it still would not function although the ambient temperature was still in the high 80’s low 90’s. But finally after sunset and the temperature cooled in the dark (9pm) the mechanical chime finally worked. I got this doorbell to replace my Ring doorbell since I had the Arlo camera systems and wanted everything on a single system. Guess this product is not as well designed as the Ring that was functioning fine.

Buyer beware!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DD7,

Arlo Video Doorbell is designed for use within these temperature thresholds: -4° F to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C) See here: Are Arlo cameras weatherproof?

Within the mobile app, were you getting any error messages or warnings for the doorbell?

JamesC

RTodd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a troubleshooting checklist for mechanical doorbells that aren't ringing. I know to check the connections at the chime itself, check the doorbell wires, and reset the Arlo doorbell itself. Anything else?

wayneph
Aspirant
Aspirant

What settings have you enabled/disabled?  I've got an open support case right now (on a Digital chime) with VERY similar symptoms.  My chime works initially after I remove/add it to my account, but as soon as I try to turn off "Leave a message" and silence the "Incoming Call", leaving only the traditional chime, I only hear it about 10% of the time and I can't find a pattern.  I've had 40-75 degree temps with little direct sun light, and no warnings in the app, so I don't think it's temperature related....

Just trying to find patterns to help support figure this out.

DD7
Aspirant
Aspirant

The "checklist" that I used was simply the instructions and tutorial for adding the chime trigger device for the Mechanical Chime system (traditional doorbell chime that came with the home).  When first discovering that the chime wasn't working under the "mechanical" option in the app when physically trying to ring the doorbell (pushing the Arlo Doorbell button), I attempted to use the "digital" option in the app to see how that would work.  It worked but poorly as the "digital" option was not intended to function with the mechanical chime (it got stuck on and would not release the power to the chime; it held on and buzzed).  After setting it back to "mechanical" option in the app, it seemingly didn't work.  The fix was to remove the Arlo Doorbell from the app (remove device) and re-add the device in the app.  It worked perfect again, except when sunlight was directly on the Arlo Doorbell; this overheating issue only affected connectivity/function of the chime trigger device while the remaining functions of the Arlo Doorbell worked fine.  That was the only troubleshooting I performed.  The temperature fix was procuring a white cover for the black Arlo Doorbell; I am awaiting for summer again to see if it affects the temperature/direct sunlight issue (or just let it ride as-is and let my phone/app alert me to a doorbell push versus the chime).  Hope this helps some.

DD7
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC, Sorry for the late reply...  I did not receive any temperature warnings or alerts in the app.  With exception of the doorbell not functioning with the chime trigger (for the traditional mechanical chime system), the doorbell functions fine on all other accounts.  As soon as directly sunlight is no longer on the doorbell unit and the unit has a chance to cool a little, the doorbell goes back to initiating the chime trigger device.

DD7
Aspirant
Aspirant

wayneph, here are the following settings I have set in the app:

• Connected to = Base Station
  • Silent Mode = Off
  • Doorbell LED = All On
  • Traditional Chime = Mechanical
  • Language = English (US)
  • Device Info:
    • Firmware = 1.14.0.0_1117_c9951d1_b4efa46
    • Hardware = 1.2
  • Video Settings = All On; highest quality
  • Activity Zones = 2 Zones are set
  • Audio Settings = All On; volume at 90%
  • Call Settings = All Off;  Note: Although I turned off "Leave Your Message", I think it stills asks the doorbell ringer to leave a message if doorbell is not answered.
  • Paired Devices = None (No additional Chimes added; only using the Traditional Chime feature using the "mechanical" option).

When I was having trouble with the Arlo Doorbell, I ended up fixing my issue by removing the device (in the app) and re-added the device (in the app) then followed the instructions again.  Ultimately, the issue is direct sunlight on the Arlo Doorbell in my specific case.  The doorbell continues to function even while in directly sunlight, with exception of the traditional chime trigger device (which energizes the physical/traditional chime unit that was installed when the home was constructed) but begins functioning again after the direct sunlight is no longer on the doorbell and the doorbell has a chance to cool off.  

I hope this info helps!

wayneph
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've already removed and added the doorbell back about a dozen times.  It's getting really old.

The only significant difference between your setup and mine is that is the Silent mode.  I do NOT want the call to the phone.  I just want the chime.

I also have turned off "Leave a message", but still get a blank audio recording each time someone presses the doorbell.  Have you seen Video recordings stop when someone presses the door bell?  Why not just let the message be the video it's already taking.  I don't see any benefit for jumping over to a separate audio recording, especially if video is completely lost.

CoreyP1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Anyone figure anything out? I just purchased a wired video doorbell and mechanical chime never worked on test or when door bell button pushed. Is it possible that I have a bad power kit? Anyone know exactly what is in that or what it is doing? How can I test it to see if it is bad or not? I’ve searched and couldn’t find anything on those power kits as far as how to tell if you got a bad one. Any help is appreciated thanks!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What is the rating of your transformer (both voltage and power)?

Have you tried disconnecting the doorbell, and touching the two wires together at the door?  Then see if the chime rings with the power kit connected.

You could also contact Arlo support - they might be able to send you a replacement power kit to try (or a completely new doorbell if they don't have the standalone power kit).

RTodd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Total user error. 😀 There's a small on/off switch on the side of the power kit that I never switched on. Doh!

CoreyP1
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s now at 16-24V 10VA transformer. The old doorbell system was 12V. Old house with a finished basement so tough saying how everything is all wired in. I’ll probably take the doorbell of and touch the two wires together just to verify the charm works. I either think I got a bad power kit( bought the doorbell kit from BestBuy and didn’t have time to inspect the package but found out once at home and opening that it must have been a return that they just put back on the shelf. Items had a little bit of dirt and grim like they have been attempted to be installed and the plastic on the doorbell itself look as if it was pulled off and stuck back on.) or could the extra 4-12V be too much for my old chime? It’s just a coil with two little metal plungers that pull in once it gets voltage through the door bell.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There is a switch on the power kit (which enables a bypass mode for the chime).  Make sure that switch is not in the "X" position.

@CoreyP1 wrote:
 or could the extra 4-12V be too much for my old chime? It’s just a coil with two little metal plungers that pull in once it gets voltage through the door bell.

It seems unlikely, but if that is the case then touching the two wires together should tell you.

BTW, while you are at it, I suggest removing the power kit and trying again if the chime doesn't ring when it is connected.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation