Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell camera is pointed right at my wife’s car but Arlo did not pick up any motion

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
esmurth
Aspirant
Aspirant
Someone went through our cars last night. Our doorbell camera is pointed right at my wife’s car but Arlo did not pick up any motion or recordings of the thieves.. but thanks for the video of a raccoon…. And picking up everything else except the one time it was actually needed for security..
5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would ask how far the camera(s) are from the event... ?

there is a limit on the sense range.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
@esmurth wrote:
 Our doorbell camera is pointed right at my wife’s car but Arlo did not pick up any motion or recordings of the thieves

How far away is the camera from the car?

esmurth
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not far. It notifies us every time she gets home and leaves for work everyday, and every time someone walks by on our sidewalk, which is even farther away.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
@esmurth wrote:
Not far. It notifies us every time she gets home and leaves for work everyday, and every time someone walks by on our sidewalk, which is even farther away.

The motion detection spec is 16.4 feet (5 meters) for the AVD1001, and 9.8 feet (3 meters) for the AVD2001.  Though I have found that it will pick up vehicles from much farther away.   Sometimes it will pick up people at a greater distance, but not as reliably.  

You might want to use the motion detection test to check the reliability of detection at the car's location.  https://kb.arlo.com/41/How-do-I-change-the-motion-sensitivity-on-my-Arlo-camera

esmurth
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. As I said it has always picked her up when she gets out of her car coming to and from work. And previously picked up every stray animal going through our yard at night. this morning we had a package delivery and it didn’t not set off the motion detection until they were right at our door. After further investigation, it seems as though it is no longer detecting any motion at night, which is when it’s needed most.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation