Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doesn’t pickup automobiles

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Iseeyoucamera
Aspirant
Aspirant

Door bell camera is only picking up large vehicles like FedEx or schools buses vary rarely does it pickup a car  I have the sensitively turned up to 100. 

I have no obstructions and my previous nest camera picked up everything. 

10EB2EA7-6E75-467E-865D-FEC6F6AC81D6.jpeg

9E8A5372-E990-4DCC-A741-17A31F0970A3.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

How far is the street from the camera?

Iseeyoucamera
Aspirant
Aspirant

Near side of street 46 feet far side 78

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Iseeyoucamera wrote:

Near side of street 46 feet far side 78

The motion detection in the doorbell uses a passive infrared (PIR) sensor.

Arlo specs the detection range for the AVD1001 (wired doorbell) at 16.4 feet (5 m), and the AVD2001 (wirefree doorbell) at 9.8 feet (3m).

In my experience, the AVD1001 will sometimes pick up vehicles that are further away - particularly trucks, but that is not always the case.

Iseeyoucamera
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is very said to hear, I will be taking the product back as that does not provide my house with a “safe” environment. They should clearly have this spelled out on their specs page as this can and is a HUGELY important factor. My nest easily picked this up and my nest iq picks up from 100 feet away. What the point of a door bell camera if won’t even cover my sidewalk to know who walked along it. 

thank you for the assistance. 

Iseeyoucamera
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to add that Reddit goes into a bit more depth into motion detection. Apparently there is a camera default that you can change but also under it should be changed in the mode that is selected for instance my doorbell is set to armed and by default armed is set to 80. I do not know what overrides what so if other people have a detection problem make sure your camera and mode is set to 100

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Iseeyoucamera wrote:

Apparently there is a camera default that you can change but also under it should be changed in the mode that is selected for instance my doorbell is set to armed and by default armed is set to 80. I do not know what overrides what so if other people have a detection problem make sure your camera and mode is set to 100

There is a motion detection test is often useful for finding the correct setting.  But the setting there is only for the test - it is not the operational setting that the camera uses.

The setting that matters is the one in the mode(s) for the camera.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation