Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

DOORBELL vs BATHTUB DRAIN!

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DIAKIM
Aspirant
Aspirant
We installed our wired video doorbell about a week ago. It works fine until the bathtub is drained!! Then it makes one chime and the doorbell unit hums for about 5 minutes. Can't figure this one out. It is a new doorbell and transformer.
8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DIAKIM wrote:
We installed our wired video doorbell about a week ago. It works fine until the bathtub is drained!! Then it makes one chime and the doorbell unit hums for about 5 minutes. Can't figure this one out. It is a new doorbell and transformer.

That one's different.

I am wondering if there is a small plumbing leak (resulting in wet wires).  

DIAKIM
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wiring is no where near the plumbing. It almost seems sound activated as is when the tub is almost empty and makes that loud draining sound.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DIAKIM wrote:
It almost seems sound activated 

Hard to see how that could be, since the chime is only activated when the doorbell is pressed.  Did you install the power kit?

DIAKIM
Aspirant
Aspirant
We replaced an old doorbell and transformer. The back door switch wasn't touched. It is making a backdoor chime.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DIAKIM wrote:
We replaced an old doorbell and transformer. The back door switch wasn't touched. It is making a backdoor chime.

Not sure if I am fully following this or not.  Is this correct?

• You replaced the front doorbell with the AVD1001, and also replaced the transformer
  • The AVD1001 appears to be working normally, as does the original back doorbell.
  • When the bathtub is drained, you are hearing the chime hum for some minutes, and sometimes sounding the backdoor chime.

Is this all correct (including the doorbell model number)?  

Also, did you install the power kit at the chime? 

Though I understand that the wiring doesn't go near the drain pipe(s), this still sounds like it could be a serious electrical issue.  The chime hum means that power is flowing through the chime when it shouldn't be. 

It might be worth disconnecting the AVD1001 (you can do that at the transformer if it's easier), and see if the symptoms change.  If they don't, then reconnect the AVD1001, and disconnect the back doorbell and test again.

If you can't sort it out soon, you might want to hire an electrician.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My wife says to move. Fast.

Sorry, it's a tough problem to crack. Watching to see how it turns out - good luck!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Strange

As mentioned, I would disconnect all and one at a time put back with testing on each item...

Only other thing I can think of is a grounding issue if water pipes are use for grounding cause it does sound like some amount of current flow causing issue.  Now days it's a lot of Pvc, but in older homes could be different

check if the transformer is grounded too.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TomMac wrote:

Only other thing I can think of is a grounding issue if water pipes are use for grounding cause it does sound like some amount of current flow causing issue. 

Yes, I was wondering that too.  

If that's happening, the bathtub draining might be affecting the grounding of the entire home.  Which wouldn't be good.  Note that if it is grounding, it's likely not directly related to the doorbell+transformer install.  

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation