Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Bhnelsen
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo app does not give the option of connecting the Arlo Wireless Video Doorbell to the base station/smart hub.  It connects directly to home router.  However, the app will not allow you to connect the Chimes 2 to the home router, only to the smart hub.  After nearly two hours on chat with tech support, I was finally asked if I use an IOS device or Android. I have an iPhone.  Tech support told me the iPhone Arlo App does not allow you to connect Chimes 2 to a home router. How can the Video Doorbell connect to the Chimes, if they are on different networks?  Do I have to go buy an Android tablet to setup my system?  This is a flaw that Arlo should never have allowed or should disclose before people purchase the Chimes unit.  Unless I always have my phone at hand, the video doorbell is worthless without working chimes.  I am out $250 for a system that doesn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should now be resolved in the latest version of the Arlo mobile app (3.5).

Please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app installed.

JamesC

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bhnelsen wrote:

However, the app will not allow you to connect the Chimes 2 to the home router, only to the smart hub. .

Are you certain you have a Chime 2, and not the older Chime?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062573/Arlo-Chime-2-FAQ says it connects to your home wifi.  

Bhnelsen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I have a Chime 2.  Spent nearly two hours with tech support, only to be told Chime 2 cannot be setup with in IOS device.  That is a major flaw, given the number of iPhones in the community.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bhnelsen wrote:

Yes, I have a Chime 2.  Spent nearly two hours with tech support, only to be told Chime 2 cannot be setup with in IOS device.  

@JamesC  or @Mark-V : can you confirm that is a bug?  That doesn't sound right.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bhnelsen,

You absolutely should  be able to use an iOS device to set up Chime 2. What model and iOS version is your iOS device?

JamesC

Bhnelsen
Aspirant
Aspirant
iPhone 12, system 14.6. App will only recognize Smart Hub, not home router, when trying to setup Chime 2. Tech support told me this is a known issue. Doorbell connects with router.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should now be resolved in the latest version of the Arlo mobile app (3.5).

Please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app installed.

JamesC

Bhnelsen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spent an hour trying to set it up on Sunday, the app would never offer my router as a network option.  Reset the device multiple times, no luck.  Contacted tech support via chat, tried several different options.  Nothing worked.  That is when she told me that IOS devices were not supported and that "it is a known issue."  Today, I again reset the device, tried twice and on the second attempt, up popped my home network and now the Chime 2 is setup.  

Bhnelsen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally got the Chimes 2 setup today.  First attempt failed, second attempt worked.  It was "chat" support tech who told me the Arlo app did not support setup on an iPhone.  She told me I needed an Android device.  The case number is 42609366.  You might want to ensure they are not giving out bad info.

Niko24
Tutor
Tutor

OK so i finally got this to work.

What I did was:

1) Forget all Wifi connections in your home (or wherever you are trying to set up the Chime 2).  I have a Tri-Band router so it was 3 for me

2) Leave your cell connection on since the app needs to connect to the internet

3) Open the app and follow the instructions

4) Connect to the Arlo provided Wifi network

5) Select the Wifi network you want touse

6) Enter password for Wifi

7) Wait for the connection to fail.  You should get a red X and at the bottom it should give you the option to go to Wifi settings

8 ) Enter your Wifi settings

9) Success .... hopefully

What I think happens is that the Chime drops its self created Wifi when I tries to connect to the home Wifi and your phone sees the Arlo wifi disappears and connects automatically to your home Wifi and something gets messed up.  Hope this helps people and hopefully gets Arlo to fix this issue with the Chime 2 and makes it as easy as connected the doorbell.

Niko24
Tutor
Tutor

Step 7a) if the red x doesn't appear hit "Try Again" and wait.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation