Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
wayneph
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an open support ticket on this, but wanted to see if anyone had additional recommendations... Really getting frustrated as I have already removed and added the Video Doorbell about 9-12 times in the last 3 days.  I've lost count.  I've also used the little key that came with it to physically reset the device 2 or 3 times by holding the reset button in for about 20 seconds each time.  I've got until March 10 to get this working before Amazon gets it back.  (Unless it goes back sooner...)

I think what I want is pretty simple, but can't get it to work.  I want a video camera that records when it senses motion, and rings the chime wired in my house when someone pushes the button.  I don't want a phone call.  I don't want to ask to "leave a message".  (I can't get the Activity Zones and "Smart" notifications to work together either, but I'll save that for another message and just focus on the actual doorbell part here.)

When I go through the initial setup process, I am able to test my digital chime and I hear it work for about a second, so I'm pretty confident I have the wiring/power kit installed correctly.  Also when it first comes up (and I haven't changed any settings) a button press on the doorbell makes a sound on the doorbell, rings the chime, and calls my app.  If I change the digital chime duration duration first, I have heard a full chime (with the call going on at the same time) again leading me to believe that physical setup is correct.

At this point, I typically do 3 things. 

1. Enable Silent Mode (turn off Incoming Call, turn ON traditional chime)
  2. Extend Digital chime from 4 seconds to 10 seconds to hear the "full song".
  3. Turn off "Leave a Message" from call settings.

I have tried doing them in different orders, and at some point during the process (I haven't found a pattern) the doorbell button becomes useless.  I can press it and nothing happens. No call, No sound on the doorbell.  No song from my digital chime.  Usually, if I disable Silent mode, I start getting calls on the phone again, but I still don't get a sound on the doorbell or through the chime.  The most consistent thing I get is a push notification about 15-20 seconds after a doorbell press that a "voice message was left".  That comes regardless of whether or not I have the Leave a Message setting disabled in Call settings or not.

Until I remove doorbell from my app and add it as a new device again (NO physical wiring changes), I get nothing.  I've tried doing part of this from the website through Chrome as well, but it doesn't even have all the options available.  Once, I was able to get mixed results after restarting the Base Station.  I had also turned off the speaker volume on the doorbell (to at least try hiding the "Leave a Message" prompt) and on back to back key presses I actually heard the door bell ring once, without changing settings.

Other Notes:

• I measure about 18.4V at the transformer (marked 16V 10VA).
  • If I unhook the doorbell and touch the wires, the chime rings as expected.
  • I have checked the Power Kit and confirmed that it has remained in the O (not bypass) position.

Following setup, both the base station and doorbell claim to be on the newest firmware.  At this time here are versions/settings reported from the app:

• Android App: version 3.5.13_28425 from 1/25/2022
  • Base Station: VMB4000r3 - Firmware 1.17.1.2_3987_0e6c162
  • Doorbell: Essentials Video Doorbell Wired - Firmware 1.14.0.0_1117_c9951d1_b4efa46

I'm running out of things to try and am beginning to believe it is just a software bug that hasn't been figured out...  Tech support is supposed to be looking at it, so I'll see if I get any more information tomorrow if they get back to me.

4 REPLIES 4
nsleigh
Guide
Guide

I am glad it is not just me, I have had a support ticket open for this for a month and Arlo seem to be just ignoring it.

I want silent mode to just ring the chime and record video but it doesn't. If someone walks to the door the video is recorded perfectly, if they press the bell I get the audio message alert (which is blank) and no video. I have found that if someone walks to the door and waits a while before they press the bell the video is recorded but the instance they press the button the video stops.

wayneph
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great... I was so focused on getting the thing to ring properly, I hadn't noticed it stop recording when the button is pressed.  At least I can add that to the ticket before it closes.  I rebooted the base station last night, and (other than the stupid push notification) at least the chime seems to be working for now...

Now, if only it wouldn't notify for cars on the street when my Activity zone stops at the sidewalk.

nsleigh
Guide
Guide

Did you get any feedback from support? My ticket has been open for 2 months and they just ignore it.

nsleigh
Guide
Guide

Behaviour gets worse, now even though the "leave a message" is off, it always says "leave a message".

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation