Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can't add device because the app keeps crashing (Android)

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

My internet and wifi died for over a week. When I got it fixed, my doorbell did not reconnect. Same router, wifi and internet source.

I factory reset the doorbell and am attempting to add the device back, but the app keeps crashing.

This is frustrating as I have to swipe through pages and pages of installation instructions to get to the reconnect process. I've tried about ten times now, and it crashes at random points every time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm on my new wifi and have managed to get the doorbell connected using my tablet. It took a few times and once set up there were repeated periods where the doorbell was offline. It seems to be online most of the time now.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Start by rebooting the phone and reinstalling the app.

Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

Rebooted, removed app, re-installed app.

Several more attempts, each time getting all the way to the QR code bit, then it crashes.

Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got a bit further. I connected to support via chat. Another annoying long process to get to a real person. After going through the usual "have you switched it off and on again" they asked if I had another device. And I do, a tablet. 

So I set up the tablet, which instantly cut me off from the chat as it logged me out of my phone.

I tried adding the device with the tablet and it did not crash. And the device was added.

Unfortunately, I picked up my phone as it was doing updates which seemed to log me out of the tablet without me doing anything. So I did not see the end of the process.

And now I have a device that says my doorbell is not connected. Basically back to where I was when this all started.

Support hung up on me with no way to contact them back.

That's enough for the day, I'll have another go tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tiggerito,

What model Android device are you using? Does the crash give you any information, any error messages?

JamesC

Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Huawei P20 Pro (CLT-L29) with Andriod 10.

The app shuts down at random moments. No messages or notifications; it just disappears. When I open it, I have to start from the beginning.

I'm switching internet providers and my router/wifi, so I will wait until that is complete before trying again. 

Tiggerito
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm on my new wifi and have managed to get the doorbell connected using my tablet. It took a few times and once set up there were repeated periods where the doorbell was offline. It seems to be online most of the time now.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation