Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I wire my ArloVideo Doorbell and patch to Existing Wired push button doorbell?

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I connect my Arlo Wired Video Doorbell patching it to the existing wiring of the push button doorbell, So both of my buttons will work. So If I press the traditional Push button, it will ring my Mechanical Chime and also if I push the button in the Arlo door bell will also ring the same mechanical chime ?

The reason I don't want to replace the existing push button is,  it is on the side of the wall and video does not cover much. so I want to place the Arlo door bell in side of the door and newly wire it and patch it to the existing wire of the existing doorbell. 

23 REPLIES 23
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

So If I press the traditional Push button, it will ring my Mechanical Chime and also if I push the button in the Arlo door bell will also ring the same mechanical chime ?

No, unfortunately that won't work.  If you attempt to connect it that way, you'll need to push both buttons at the same time to get it to ring.  Plus the Arlo doorbell won't be powered (because the traditional doorbell is keeping the circuit open).

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure how do you say that the circuit is Open. All the time the Push button when pressed is ringing the chime - never failed. However when we push the Button in the Arlo Door bell it works first time and later when pressed second or third time it does not work. 

If the circuit is kept open then the Push button should also not work right ?  That's not the case. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

I am not sure how do you say that the circuit is Open.

It sounded like you were proposing to connect the two doorbells in series....

transformer ---->doorbell---->arlo doorbell---->chime

^                                            v

|                                            |

+--------------------------------------------+

Normally power won't flow through the traditional doorbell unless it is pressed.  The arlo doorbell is a bit more complicated, but it still won't allow enough power to flow through it to ring the chime unless it is pressed.  So you'd need to press both doorbells at the same time in order for power to reach the chime.

Also, power won't reach the Arlo doorbell unless the traditional doorbell is pressed.  If you are talking about the AVD1001, then it simply won't function w/o power.  The AVD2001 would function, but the battery would never trickle charge.

It might work if you wire the two doorbells in parallel

transformer ---->-----+-----------+

^               |           |

|            Doorbell     Arlo Doorbell

|               |           |

chime <-----------+-----------+

Though it's not something Arlo recommends, so you'd be on your own.

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

DoorBell.gif

I assume it is connected like this as mentioned in the above diagram. Let me know if this will work. I am noticing that the Traditional Door bell when pressed it works all the time.. However the Arlo door bell does receive the Power and I see the Video recording is also happening, however the Chime does not Ring when the button is pressed. 

Note : when we click the test button while configuring the Arlo Doorbell, the chime does work.( which I assume the connecting does work) Later after ringing once, it does not work at all when pressed again... 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

I assume it is connected like this as mentioned in the above diagram.

You wired it, so hopefully there is no "assume".  Your diagram shows the doorbells in parallel.

Are you using the AVD1001 doorbell, or the AVD2001?

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is AVD1001 Video Door Bell. 

I am really confused, It does work first time when you configure it for the first time.. But later when we keep using/trying it, the ARLO Doorbell does not work. Chime alone does not Ring, however the Camera is working and I am getting phone call. 

What's the reason behind that?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

It is AVD1001 Video Door Bell. 

Did you install the power kit?

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you install the power kit?

Yes power Kit is installed in the Chime box. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

Yes power Kit is installed in the Chime box. 

What is your transformer rating (both volts and VA (amps)?

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

16V - 10 VA

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

16V - 10 VA

Which is the minimum spec.

If's possible that you don't have enough power to reliably drive both chimes and the doorbell.  Have you tried disconnecting one of the chimes?

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have you tried disconnecting one of the chimes?

How do I Remove one of the Chime from that connection ? 

1. Do I simply Remove the Wire connected to T point in the Chime Box ?  Is that what you want me to try ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

Do I simply Remove the Wire connected to T point in the Chime Box ?  Is that what you want me to try ?

That will work.  Or disconnect F on one of the two chimes.

Note you want to disconnect the one that doesn't have the power kit installed.

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

"That will work.  Or disconnect F on one of the two chimes."

Sorry for the late reply. I did disconnect the F cable in the Second chime where the Power kit is NOT connected. This is what I noticed. 

1.  I reset my device and configured it again and the TEST Button works fine. 

2. when I ring the Arlo door bell , it is ringing the Chime and I am getting the Call in my phone. 

3. If I attend the phone call and try ringing the doorbell after some time it does work. 

4. If I disconnect my phone call and it is asking to leave a voice mail. 

5. After which the doorbell stops working. It does not ring , however I am still getting call in my Phone. 

6. If I leave it idle for 10 - 15 minutes and try again the doorbell chime works again. 

But it is better than before after removing one chime - the above is what happening. I am still confused and not able to find what is going on and how to get this fixed permanently and how to make both the doorbell chime work simultaneously and make the doorbell work always.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

"

6. If I leave it idle for 10 - 15 minutes and try again the doorbell chime works again. 

FWIW, I don't understand this behavior either.  

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

One more thing I noticed today. 

If I enable the silent mode so I suppress the phone call that I am getting every time when the doorbell is pressed. 

Phone - disabled

Chime - Enabled

It sounds the first time the button is pressed the chime worked one time. Later the chime is not working at all,  how many every time I press the doorbell - chime is not working now.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

One more thing I noticed today. 

If I enable the silent mode so I suppress the phone call that I am getting every time when the doorbell is pressed. 

Phone - disabled

Chime - Enabled

It sounds the first time the button is pressed the chime worked one time. Later the chime is not working at all,  how many every time I press the doorbell - chime is not working now.

Does the chime ring properly when you aren't in silent mode?

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the chime ring properly when you aren't in silent mode?

No. it does not. It works OFF and ON. Sometimes working and some times not. 

When it is working, If I keep pressing the button in the Arlo Door bell, it works for 5 times and it stops working 6th time. After which it does not work at all.. Then if I leave it like that for a day or 2 , it might start working by itself.. However if I keep pressing button multiple times it might work for 4 times and 5th or 6 th time it will stop working.. 

What is causing this issue ?  does it have anything  to do with the Transformer ???

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

What is causing this issue ?  does it have anything  to do with the Transformer ???

I don't know the cause.  I guess it could be something with the transformer.

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

If so  what is the transformer I need to replace it with ? 

Volt and Amps ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

If so  what is the transformer I need to replace it with ? 

16-24 volts AC, 10 VA (amps).

Note the 10 VA is the minimum, it's safe to get a transformer that is spec'd higher than that.

ChimeUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would this work for my Video Doorbell.

16VAC/30VA

-OR- 

Do I need to Upgrade the Voltage as well ?

24V 40vA

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ChimeUser wrote:

Would this work for my Video Doorbell.

16VAC/30VA

-OR- 

Do I need to Upgrade the Voltage as well ?

24V 40vA

Both are within spec, so they should work.  There will be some voltage drop in the wiring, so the conservative choice would be the 24V model.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation