Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I use cat5 cable to hook up the avd.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
stevekost
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. Can I use cat5 cable to hook up the avd.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could but be sure the voltage is correct for the doorbell (check the transformer specs detailed for the doorbell). The wiring itself isn't important.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stevekost wrote:

Hi. Can I use cat5 cable to hook up the avd.

It does need to connect to your home network with WiFi - so if you are thinking "ethernet" instead of "cat5 cable", the answer is no.

The cable itself could supply the power, but I think you'd be better off purchasing some bell wire (normally 18 gauge).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree with above.... but if you just happen to have cat5 on hand to use, I would double up 2 of the leads to cover voltage drop...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
stevekost
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the replies. I have someone coming to install it later this week using cat5 as the power. I will let you know if it works.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@stevekost wrote:

Thank you for the replies. I have someone coming to install it later this week using cat5 as the power. I will let you know if it works.

That should be fine if you double up the wires as TomMac says.  Also, I’m not certain how the VDB powers itself, but it seems like using a transformer at the high end of the acceptable voltage range might result in fewer amps of current flowing through the wires.  The VDB needs wattage to operate and higher voltage should mean lower amperage.

When we built our most recent house, I had them install normal doorbell wire because that’s what the smart doorbells were using at the time.  Since then some have come out with wired network connections, so having a network cable would have given me additional choices and flexibility which you appear to have.  

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation