Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Byron chime problem

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Harrymlees
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I wire the video doorbell to a Byron DBW-23082 mechanical chime and not have the chime going off uncommanded every few seconds?  I have used the Arlo 24v transformer instead of the Byron 7 volt version and have measured voltage at the chime.  The video camera is working properly.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Harrymlees wrote:

How do I wire the video doorbell to a Byron DBW-23082 mechanical chime and not have the chime going off uncommanded every few seconds?  I have used the Arlo 24v transformer instead of the Byron 7 volt version and have measured voltage at the chime.  The video camera is working properly.

What video doorbell model do you have?

Your doorbell model has an integrated transformer- how did you re-wire it?  

Harrymlees
Aspirant
Aspirant

I removed the chime unit transformer - it’s a separate unit within the chime case, and then wired the Arlo 24v transformer to the mechanical chime instead.  The Arlo doorbell is an AVD1001-100EUS.

I imagine there must be sufficient current being drawn by the Arlo doorbell via the mechanical chime coil to gradually energise it but don’t know how to stop it.  The chime coil measures 5 ohms.  I tried a series 5ohm resistor to half the voltage across the chime and it reduces the random chiming but also delays or stops the Arlo doorbell from operating the chime when the button is pushed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Harrymlees wrote:

The Arlo doorbell is an AVD1001-100EUS.

Did you install the power kit?

Harrymlees
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes the power kit is installed.  I’d like to know what it’s meant to do if you can enlighten me.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Harrymlees wrote:

I’d like to know what it’s meant to do if you can enlighten me.  

Ordinary doorbells don't use any power, they are just switches that complete the circuit.

The AVD1001 is different - always drawing power to run.  Chimes weren't designed to have power running through them all the time.  The power kit diverts the power needed to run the camera around the chime, but doesn't divert the power when the doorbell is pressed.

In your case, power is definitely running through the chime anyway.  That could be a result of the transformer you replaced, since the chime was apparently designed for only 7 volts.  It could also be a failed power kit - so you could try exchanging the doorbell at the store.

FWIW, the Gen 2 doorbells might be a better fit - they are spec'd to run at 8 volts, and only trickle charge their batteries from the low voltage AC.  So they don't draw as much power as the AVD1001 (and don't need the power kit).

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation