Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo video doorbell random chimes

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have gotten random chimes without anyone ringing the bell. I see articles about bypassing the chime with the power kit but this is a doorbell after all and I expect the chime to work.

I’m guessing when the camera detects motion it’s passing current that rings the bell but I’m not sure. I have about 17 volts at my doorbell.

Any thoughts from forum or solutions from Arlo?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

I replaced the old transformer that had the correct voltage, but it did not have a neutral wire.  The new transformer with line/load/neutral wires seems to have stopped the random chimes through the past 2 days of use.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jsmitty66,

Do you have the Power Kit installed in your chime box?  The Power Kit ensures that your Arlo Video Doorbell receives consistent power to operate reliably. It is required for the Arlo Video Doorbell to function, and it prevents your traditional chime from unintentionally ringing when the integrated camera is recording or live streaming.

Take a look here for more information: How do I install the Power Kit for my Arlo Video Doorbell?

JamesC

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, the power kit is installed and set to “O”

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jsmitty66,

How often are you experiencing the random chimes without the doorbell button being pressed? Is this consistently occurring?

JamesC

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

A few times per day (<10)

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

My wife just informed me the chime went off 5-6 times while the mailman was parked at the curb for several minutes just outside my activity zone. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jsmitty66,

Do you have more than one chime in your home? Is the chime only ringing on it's own when motion is detected? Is there any other consistencies you can pinpoint for when this occurs?

JamesC

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

There is one chime box activated by the Arlo doorbell and one other standard doorbell.  I do feel like it chimes when it detects motion, but it doesn’t chime every time it detects motion.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jsmitty66,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more details on this issue.

JamesC

Jaysuf
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did read in a Arlo article to check the Voltage rating of your chime when this happens.

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

I replaced the old transformer that had the correct voltage, but it did not have a neutral wire.  The new transformer with line/load/neutral wires seems to have stopped the random chimes through the past 2 days of use.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation