Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo video doorbell - frustration with 2 chimes

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
BEgland
Follower
Follower

Just wanted to post a quick review of this product. If you have a 2 chime system in your house, be prepared for a lot of headaches, frustration, and not a lot of help from Arlo support. After trying out the audio doorbell and not being very satisfied with it, we returned it to Best Buy and bought a video doorbell. After several attempts at installing it, we still could not make the chimes ring. Contacted Arlo and they said I would probably need a second power kit to do both chimes. So they sent me another kit. I installed that and still had no luck. Arlo then suggested that I would need to bypass one of the chimes, but of course, they had no help to offer me there. I tried disconnecting either one of the chimes only to have disabled the entire doorbell system. Arlo the suggests that I consult an electrician. So I do some testing with my trusty tester, draw some wiring diagrams, and take this along with one of the chimes to an electrician. With all of the info I was able to provide him, he determined that my system was not wired in the traditional way, and I would need him to come to my house to try and figure this all out. So then I got the idea to just buy an Arlo chime and forget about using my old ones. So I order a chime online and wait a few more days for it to arrive. I now try to set up the system again but still have no luck. The Arlo chime won't even ring. Again, I contact Arlo and they tell me that the chime is not compatible with the doorbell. Well now my only option is to hire an electrician for however many hundreds of dollars to come over and try to sort this out. It has now been about 6 weeks since I started messing around with this project in my spare time. At this point I am thoroughly pissed off about the whole issue. I have packed up the doorbell and chime and returned it to Best Buy.
If you have a 2 chime system in your home, I highly recommend that you don't waste your time and money on this product.

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BEgland,

I apologize for the frustrating experience. The Arlo Engineering team is working on implementing compatibility between the Arlo Video Doorbell and select Arlo Smart Hubs and base-stations, allowing compatibility with the Arlo Chime. Stay tuned for more details as we prepare to release more details surrounding this upcoming support in the coming months.

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BEgland wrote:

If you have a 2 chime system in your house, be prepared for a lot of headaches, frustration, and not a lot of help from Arlo support. 

FWIW I do have two chimes (wired correctly), and the system is working fine.  There was a problem for a while (the chimes didn't ring with the power module installed), but swapping the transformer solved that.

It sounds to me like the real issue  for you was "With all of the info I was able to provide him, he determined that my system was not wired in the traditional way".  

KTaylor
Aspirant
Aspirant
We are also having an issue with these chimes not working.
What is the transformer and how/ where is it installed?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KTaylor,

A doorbell transformer is a device that sends the right amount of electricity to power an electric doorbell. Your doorbell transformer can be anywhere in your house.

For more information on this, take a look here: How do I measure the voltage of my doorbell transformer?

JamesC 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation