Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Burdzysa
Star
Star
Hello, I purchased the Arlo video doorbell today to add on to my 4 cameras and base station set up. All of my preexisting cameras are connected to my 4540 base station and function great. This evening the doorbell could not be found by the base station. After multiple resets and unsuccessful connection attempts, I connected the doorbell to wifi and have it operating that way. I have read other posts that there have been issues connecting to the base station. Any assistance with this would be great. Again, the doorbell is connected to wifi and operating properly however, it would be nice to have it hooked to base station with the other 4 cameras. Thank you.
47 REPLIES 47
briansl1976
Tutor
Tutor
Yes. They have not responded to anyone as far as I can tell.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

briansl1976,

The development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information to share.

JamesC

joemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I know, briansl1976, my post is to help okdave connect to his router in the meantime. I also cannot connect to the SmartHub.

LROcean
Initiate
Initiate

Just purchased the Video Doorbell. Cant connect to base station. Rebooted base station several times- reset the doorbell several times. Doorbell NOT found. Yes was able to connect using the wifi method but not what I want.. All firmware up to date and doorbell update its firmware when I connect it to wifi.

Burdzysa
Star
Star
This is clearly an issue with the software that needs to be addressed immediately. Unbelievable we haven’t had any support with this yet. They probably won’t fix it just like they keep ignoring the huge issue that you can not use custom notification settings for an alert. I am extremely disappointed with arlo thus far.
Dutchboy22
Guide
Guide
So do we need to call the contact center? Just looking to see if this is being addressed. Right now I just have an expensive doorbell.
Justinjyoung00
Initiate
Initiate
Same issues here! I just opened a ticket too. I still have another ticket from months ago that Arlo stopped following up.

I had the doorbell connected to an older base VMB4000 and it works fine. I wanted to use the new base so I didn’t have to pay the smart feature fees and use local storage. For having cool tech sure has terrible customer service, follow up, and innovation on product.
Dutchboy22
Guide
Guide
Any movement on this issue?
RoyBjel
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, No, no response. I have had one request to update my case number. I did so with several updates where I also pleaded to get a proper answer and that they communicate with the customers. Then everything went dead again. No sign of live og contact! I do not believe that I am there only one with no response or lack of answer from Arlo. There must be many other there!! I will keep up my requests for communication/answer. So, we can hope that will respond to this responsibilities. Brgds Roy

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information to share.

JamesC

superman2215
Aspirant
Aspirant
How did you get it to connect to just the 2.4?
superman2215
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue over here. I have an Orbi and your smart hub won’t send the 2.4 signal out to the video doorbell, so it can connect to the smart hub. my cameras work fine.
Dgallagher
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the exact same issue.
RH1234
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any updates on this issue yet ?

First Arlo video doorbell I bought had to be removed after installation when it turned out that the primary winding of the transformer was open and the doorbell didn't get powered. Reinstalled the old doorbell while waiting for the replacement doorbell to arrive.

Today I installed the replacement doorbell and this one will not connect to the 4540 base station even though it detects the base station and confirms that it is up to date. (The four Pro 3 cameras work w/o issues.) Next tried to set it up w/o base station but it doesn't ring when attempting to get it to read the QR code (tried different distances, angles, brightness etc. on the phone).

I am afraid, I have to reinstall the old doorbell once more. It is sad, having devices from a single manufacturer that are not compatible. You would expect Arlo to test their gear before putting it on the market. 

superman2215
Aspirant
Aspirant
I guess they’re not anymore, but Arlo and Netgear used to be the same company so two devices from the same company should be seamless and easy to be compatible with each other. There’s also a person that has replied with upgrading the base unit and doorbell with a specific firmware, but I have yet to find a place to choose the firmware...
Rak9378
Star
Star

@superman2215   Connected to the smarthub and connecting via 2.4 WiFi are two different things.   Connecting to the smarthub is the issue that everyone is having.  That has nothing to do with your Orbi.   But until that issue is fixed you should be able to connect the Doorbell over WiFi.  I have an Orbi and it works.   The tricky thing with an Orbi Mesh is that it broadcasts in both 2.4 and 5ghz.   You can try connecting it to the Guest network.  I found that worked.   I also was able to connect it easily using a plug in transformer and moving far away from the Orbi.  The signal is a little weaker so it should be the 2.4.   Hope that helps.

superman2215
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m fully aware of how it connects over Wi-Fi. It needs to be able to connect to the smart hub. It does have to do with the Orbi and Nighthawks, as a friend of mine has the same set up, but an Asus Router and it connects to the hub just fine.
Dutchboy22
Guide
Guide
100% an issue with the Arlo Base not working to connect to the doorbell. Seems like a firmware issue to me in the latest software update. Can we just roll back the software? Or a quick patch?

Just wondering if I should ask Amazon for my $$$ back. I have had the device for a month and it’s just a fancy doorbell that rings.

Here to help, but a month is long time in today’s world for a fix.
Rak9378
Star
Star

@superman2215   I misunderstood your post.  When you mentioned the 2.4 signal I thought you were trying to connect to WiFi.

Are you sure the issue is the Smart Hub not broadcasting the 2.4 signal?  I would think if the Doorbell is connecting to the Smart Hub it shouldn't matter how the Smart Hub is connected to the internet.  When going through the set up steps for connecting to the Smart Hub there is no mention of needing a 2.4ghz signal.   Also, I'm having trouble connecting the Doorbell to my Smart Hub and my Smart Hub is connected directly to my Verizon Fios router via ethernet cable.   So the problem is not limited to just Orbi or other mesh systems.  

themojoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks all for this thread.  I just purchased the 4 pack pro3 cameras with the 4540 base.  Also purchased the wired doorbell.  I wasted all afternoon trying to get the darn thing to talk to the 4540.  Was able to connect to my home wifi no prob.  Hub4540 was a total waste of time as I just figured out by reading this thread.  Tomorrow, I will return the doorbell to bestbuy and put my Ring doorbell back up.  So many companies like this one will offshore their support (which is why you all are waiting) as well as their sw dev teams.  I worked in big high tech for 38 years and I watched my company lay off many engineers in favor of the the cheaper overseas labor.  Quality and customer service degraded FASTER than fast.  I smell the same situation here with Arlo.  Time to return the device and maybe consider it down the road once offshore gets their sh*t together.  Again, thanks to you all cuz I won't waste anymore time with this doorbell.

RoyBjel
Tutor
Tutor

Hi RH, no updates or comments received. 

I have tried to solve this issue in more than 2 months time. 

I have also replaced the video door bell unit. No success, no connection to base station or wi-fi.

I have a couple of other ongoing issues related to camera and no registrations to the SD card in base station.

But this is a discussion in another tread.

Will give Arlo one last chance to reply/fix the well known issue before I follow you in handing in 

all Arlo units. Cannot have a system not working over several months, and no prospect of any solution.

Dutchboy22
Guide
Guide
James. Any updates? It’s been a month. I know your just the community manager, but any updates would be appreciated.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved with the latest release of the Arlo iOS mobile app. Please download the latest version from the app store.

JamesC

Discussion stats