Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Nathans
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all

I have Arlo base station, two Arlo wall mounted cameras and a Arlo wired video doorbell.

I have been using Arlo base station and two wall mounted cameras for about 2 years and they were working absolutely fine. I don't have an ongoing subscription but the videos of two cameras are recorded into my base station and app displays those recorded videos in the library. If I want I can even manually activate the cameras and record the video into library. 

But I recently bought an Arlo wired video doorbell and payed an electrician to install it. 

When I added the Arlo Video doorbell to base station it forced me to sign up for a 3 month trial subscription.

It saved all the recorded videos of Video doorbell in to app library but everything was stopped after the end of 3 month trial period. Now it doesn't record any video and keep asking me to sign up for the subscription.

I am very disappointed.

Following are the model numbers and details of phone I use.

Base station=>VMB4000r3

Video cameras =>H3

Video doorbell => AVD1001

my phone=>iPhone 7 Plus

iOS version 14.4

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted in these forums many times as well as in the various docs, any camera newer than the Pro 2 needs a subscription for cloud recordings. That's why you got that trial sub to get you started. However, you can set up local recordings on your base so you still get recordings without a sub. Note that the exact model of the base will determine if you can simply use the app to view the local recordings or if you need to safely eject the drive to view on a computer. The VMB3xxx-series can't record locally and the VMB4000 and 4500 will record but can't use the app. The 4540 and 5000 SmartHubs can use the app. Local recordings are really designed as a backup but you can use them if you don't want to pay for a sub.

Nathans
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.

And I am sorry for posting this question in the wrong area.

But imagine, if the person who designed this forum had given a facility to move the whole conversation to right area.  

I have experienced the same with your products. They work fine but they end up putting you on some sort of dilemma  once you started using them. 

Anyway I will put my original question under the video doorbell section.

I got the video doorbell about 3 months ago and it is the latest version.

So when Arlo product design team designed their new models they should have designed in a way that they are backward compatible. 

Why don't add a warning in the product description of new products to say that they are not backward compatible or something like that?

I can list whole lot of other issues with this doorbell.

For example, I never received a transformer when I bought the Arlo doorbell although it says "you receive a doorbell transformer in the package" (https://kb.arlo.com/000062292/How-do-I-install-my-Arlo-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wired)

For On the other hand, your product design team think 

Nathans
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all

I have Arlo base station, two Arlo wall mounted cameras and a Arlo wired video doorbell.

I have been using Arlo base station and two wall mounted cameras for about 2 years and they were working absolutely fine. I don't have an ongoing subscription but the videos of two cameras are recorded into my base station and app displays those recorded videos in the library. If I want I can even manually activate the cameras and record the video into library.

But I recently bought an Arlo wired video doorbell and payed an electrician to install it. 

So my arlo video doorbell is the latest model.

When I added the Arlo Video doorbell to base station it forced me to sign up for a 3 month trial subscription.

It saved all the recorded videos of Video doorbell in to app library but everything was stopped after the end of 3 month trial period. Now it doesn't record any video and keep asking me to sign up for the subscription.

I am very disappointed.

If Arlo new products are not backward compatible with the base stations then the product description should say that. Not only that Arlo I have seen in some of the Arlo websites says "you receive a doorbell transformer in the package" if we bought it Europe. But when someone buys it in Australia they don't give you one.

Anyway following are the model numbers and details of phone I use.

Base station=>VMB4000r3

Video cameras =>H3

Video doorbell => AVD1001

my phone=>iPhone 7 Plus

iOS version 14.4

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nathans wrote:

I have experienced the same with your products.

Just to clarify: @jguerdat doesn't work for Arlo (FWIW neither do I).

@Nathans wrote:

For example, I never received a transformer when I bought the Arlo doorbell although it says "you receive a doorbell transformer in the package" (https://kb.arlo.com/000062292/How-do-I-install-my-Arlo-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wired)

Are you located in Europe?  If you did, you might want to check with the seller, and make sure they were distributing the European version.

Nathans
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.

Arlo product description should mention if they are backward compatible or not.

Imagine you are trying to add a new product to your base station.

Then as the consumer your should know whether the new product is compatible with the base station you have.

Because I had bought the base station only two years ago, I thought latest Arlo Video Doorbell will work with it as expected.

I bought this product in Australia and I was not given the transformer.

By the way I have posted this convesation under Arlo video doorbell. 

Could you please use that converstation?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
@Nathans wrote:

I bought this product in Australia and I was not given the transformer.

As it says,  the transformer is only included if you purchase in Europe.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062292/How-do-I-install-my-Arlo-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wired wrote:

Note: When you purchase an Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired in Europe, you receive a doorbell transformer in the package.

Why is this an issue for you?  I'm sure that they charge more for the sku that has the transformer.

@Nathans wrote:

Because I had bought the base station only two years ago, I thought latest Arlo Video Doorbell will work with it as expected.

Base station=>VMB4000r3

Video cameras =>H3

It saved all the recorded videos of Video doorbell in to app library but everything was stopped after the end of 3 month trial period. 

It is compatible with your base (and it worked as expected until the trial subscription expired).  I think your real complaint here is just that the doorbell (like all the newer cameras) requires a subscription to get cloud recording.

That is on the box, but often isn't printed as prominently as I would like.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation