Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Smarlopen
Tutor
Tutor

Is this product fit for purpose?

Six months battery life was stated in the promotional material.

With two floodlights and the doorbell in operation the battery only lasted a few weeks.  It seems that the stated battery life was based on impossibly low useage.

We have returned the floodlights and now, with the doorbell only in operations for people only detection and restricted search area we are luck if we get a month of use.   Long charging period for the battery means you really need to purchase a back up battery to have available when you take the discharged one out.
We have now been advised that the "free" trial period of Arlo Secure has expired.

Although still relevant the threads concerning what services you will get from the bare bones video doorbell with chime have been closed.  An update here would be helpful.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Smarlopen wrote:

Although still relevant the threads concerning what services you will get from the bare bones video doorbell with chime have been closed.  An update here would be helpful.

Note that there is a lot of information in the knowledge base, including an answer to this question.  You can search the knowledge base by adding site:kb.arlo.com to your search string (in google, bing, etc).

https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

Smarlopen
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks Stephen B for providing a link to a partial answer to the fitness for purpose issues.

Am I correct in my understanding that in order to store a video recording from the Arlo Video Doorbell you will need a hub or similar expensive device?

Surely the essence of a security device is the storage of images?
"Sorry Officer - I am unable to provide you with  an image of the burglar from my Arlo security camera!"

Even my cheap dashboard camera has the ability to record on a mini-SD card.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Smarlopen wrote:

Am I correct in my understanding that in order to store a video recording from the Arlo Video Doorbell you will need a hub or similar expensive device?

Yes - local storage for the two doorbell models requires a base/smarthub.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation