Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell won't connect to VMB5000 smart hub

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
shandel23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm trying to connect my video doorbell to my existing ultra Smarthub and it won't find it. The Smarthubs has the latest firmware (1.16.3.4_744_c289687) and the doorbell also has latest firmware. Any suggestions for what to try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved with the latest release of the Arlo iOS mobile app. Please download the latest version from the app store.

JamesC

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
PeterDaicoff
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  Exact same hub and firmware.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you performed the reset procedure of the doorbell?

shandel23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe I have. I first started by doing a reboot of the smart hub (unplugged for 15 seconds and let reset). Then did hard reset on video doorbell by pushing reset button on back for 10+ seconds until it started flashing and reset. Then waited for it to turn white on rings. Still didn't connect after that. Any other suggestions?

SStacy
Tutor
Tutor
Same hub, same firmware, same issue. If this cannot get resolved soon I will return this hardware and go with a competitor for much less cost and headache. The reason I bought Arlo was the ability to connect devices to hub for local storage but it appears the doorbell cannot do that? If I’m wrong, tell me why this isn’t working as advertised.
PeterDaicoff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat, yes several times.  I was speaking with a technical representative for over an hour and we tried several times to connect to the smart hub.  Each time I would perform a hard reset to the doorbell and follow the instructions provided by him and the app.  When it didn't work he then instructed me to try connecting it without the base station which worked.  I actually saved part of the transcript ... the representative didn't want to confirm they were having issues:

Arlo Support (11:36 PM) -  As of now, we can't connect it to your hub. However, we've been fixing this matter regarding your concern. 

Me (11:38PM) - so this is a problem affecting many users?

Arlo Support (11:39 PM) -  We cannot confirm it. I really apologize for the inconvenience that has caused you. 

Me (11:41 PM) - I apologize I am a bit confused. So when this is fixed how would I go about connecting it to the hub?  I have to reset the device again?  I dont see anything in the menus.  It will connect on its own?!  I have to contact you again? 

Arlo Support (11:42 PM) - I understand your sentiments. You can connect it to the base station but the problem is they can't be discovered on your phone. However, there's no difference connecting it directly to the internet and base station. The small difference is the Base station can have local backup storage. 

I have been doing a bit of research and it seems that this was an issue previously with earlier firmware versions and it got resolved.  What I am trying to figure out is how I will know when Arlo figure out this issue and fix it so I can go ahead and link the bell to my smarthub.  I do not know why the tech representative said there is no difference when connecting the doorbell to the base station or directly to the internet.  What happens if I choose not to have a subscription.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PeterDaicoff,

The development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information to share.

JamesC

shandel23
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

Thanks for looking into this. Please reply back in the next day or two with an update as I will have to return the doorbell and go back to Ring if there isn't a fix coming soon. I'd rather not do that as I'd like to keep working with Arlo.

Thanks,
Sean
shandel23
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I just discovered a strange workaround. I had heard on another forum question that deleting existing cameras from your smart hub and then trying to add your video doorbell worked for other people. So I deleted my Ultra camera from the hub. Then I tried to add the video doorbell again. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

But then I wanted to add my Ultra camera back, so I went back into the app and selected Add Device -> Cameras-> Ultra and then selected my smart hub. Instead of finding my Ultra camera, it added my video doorbell and actually set it up correctly as a doorbell and not an Ultra camera.

And then I was able to add my actual Ultra after that.

Now my last problem is that the Chime won't connect at all either. I've tried resetting it and adding it but the smart hub just won't recognize it. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot that? 

PeterDaicoff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Sean!

I will give that a shot and report back.

SStacy
Tutor
Tutor
What is the update on this? Is Arlo looking into it and what is the latest? It’s troubling that this is not the first time this has happened and it feels like the only answer at the moment is a work around? Need an update please
PeterDaicoff
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Stacy,

I just got around to trying the work around and can tell you it worked for me.

I removed my Arlo Ultra and door bell. Then I attempted to add the doorbell to the hub. Failed. Then I go to add my Arlo ultra back and it finds my doorbell. Then I added the Arlo ultra.

Thanks to the Arlo community and no thanks to Arlo support. Seriously frustrating.
SStacy
Tutor
Tutor
Got on chat with support, they said there is a problem with iOS and they hope to have a fix out in the next app update. Their recommendation to me was use and android device to add the doorbell then I can go back to iOS. Is everyone having problems using an Apple device?
PeterDaicoff
Aspirant
Aspirant
SStacy
Tutor
Tutor
Finally got it. The problem is with Arlo’s iOS software. Arlo, if you’re reading this, please fix it!

I removed everything from my account, did factory reset on hub, and use a Kindle Fire device to load everything again. Through the Kindle device I got the base station, doorbell, and cameras loaded back to my account. I was then able to log into account with iPhone and could see everything connected to the base station.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved with the latest release of the Arlo iOS mobile app. Please download the latest version from the app store.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation