Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell doesn't work at night

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
blueapple21
Aspirant
Aspirant
The Arlo video doorbell live view doesn't work overnight. It's audio with a black screen. I restarted the doorbell but nothing happens. My arlo cameras are working but no luck with the video doorbell. Please fix to have this working for the overnight hours. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@blueapple21 wrote:
The Arlo video doorbell live view doesn't work overnight. It's audio with a black screen. I restarted the doorbell but nothing happens. My arlo cameras are working but no luck with the video doorbell. Please fix to have this working for the overnight hours. Thanks

Mine is working at night, so you might want to contact support on this: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

blueapple21,

Within your settings for the doorbell, do you have the image cropped at all? If so, change the setting so that the entire camera field of view is shown and try again to see if you experience the same behavior.

To find this setting, navigate to Settings > My Devices > select your Video Doorbell > Video Settings > remove any cropping/reset image

JamesC

blueapple21
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for replying. No image is cropped in video settings. Just days ago I had live view for the overnight hours and suddenly no live view overnight. I made no adjustments in settings during that time frame.
b720rown
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've been having same problem the past 2 weeks, night time videos are just black recordings even though night vision is activated. Is the infrared malfunctioning?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Try toggling night vision off and then back on in addition to restarting the doorbell and test again. Do you experience the same behavior?

JamesC

blueapple21
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have done all that you suggested and still no night live stream. It's a black screen yet you can hear audio and the sensors work. A few nights ago, I got a notification a person walked by my property and when I played the video a white screen appeared. I guess that's due to the black live feed.
blueapple21
Aspirant
Aspirant
This evening in video settings, I cropped the screen just a bit and now I view the live feed. Thanks for your prompt response.
Bdouble
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, have a brand new Arlo Video Doorbell exhibiting the same problem - the doorbell works fine during the day, but at night I can't stream live and it does not capture any clips triggered by motion. 

I have tried turning on and off the night vision, as suggested elsewhere. This doesn't work. Others have mentioned this may be due to a problem with night vision and having nearby lights on at night - my front doorstep has two outdoor lights that come on automatically when it starts to get dark. Turning these lights off also does not fix the situation.

My camera is currently zoomed and cropped, with motion detection zones set. 

During the day, the configuration works just fine - camera zoom/crop, motion detection, and automatic clip recording works as expected with no change to the settings. As soon as it turns dark, however, the camera stops live streaming and recording clips. 

I do see the camera update the preview pic in the Arlo app - e.g. when I launch the Arlo app at night, the camera is able to take and show an updated preview picture. However, when attempting to live stream it just says "Connecting" indefinitely until it times out. If I close the app, and re-open, it will take a new updated preview picture and show this in the app. So it appears that the camera works to some extent. 

Bdouble
Aspirant
Aspirant

See this thread - my issue appears to be similar to this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arlo/comments/hnjynf/arlo_video_doorbell_live_view_at_night/

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bdouble,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Bdouble
Aspirant
Aspirant
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation