Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell connected to wifi but not paired to base

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Meconium
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just added my video doorbell to my cameras.  I installed and connected it fine.  but it is connected to my wifi not my Arlo base.  when I select (SmartHub/Base Station/Bridge) in my app it only shows my 2 cameras under Paired Devices not my video Doorbell.

When I select my cameras they are connected to my base but when I select my video doorbell it is connected to my ssid.

anyone know why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell.  Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below.

VMB5000   1.16.1.1_475_71659aa

VMB4540   1.16.1.1_461_71659aa

VMB4000   1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

VMB4500   1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c

To migrate your Arlo Video Doorbell from WiFi connection to your Arlo base-station or SmartHub, please remove it from your account, wait for the factory reset to complete (LED ring should be solid white) then re-onboard.

This is the full list of supported base-stations and SmartHubs for the Arlo Video Doorbell.

JamesC

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's normal for the moment. I believe connecting to the base should happen at some point but right now it's essentially a standalone product.

GraemeMitchell
Apprentice
Apprentice
I click on the link the says Do you want to connect this device to a Smart Hub or Base Station but there is absolutely no information there that helps you connect it. I have 3 cameras with base station that I would like to connect this video doorbell to, how do i do that?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not aware that connecting to a hub is currently available (someone correct me if wrong) so using WiFi is the only option. Since the words are there, it implies that it's coming but not released yet.

GraemeMitchell
Apprentice
Apprentice
The new app I just downloaded allows connection to the hub and not just wifi. Anyone know how to switch the connection to the hub from the wifi?
lilslugger
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is my first time exploring support articles and I'm dumbfounded at how out of date they all are.  I too updated my phone app last night which supposedly included recently released functionality to connect the video doorbell to the base station.  I went to do so in the app, click Learn More, and it takes me to the main support page....not specific instructions on how to do so.  I've googled and searched but unable to find instructions for this new feature.  

GraemeMitchell
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am going to try pushing the button on the back and see if there is another option at lunchtime.  I will report back

lilslugger
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm chatting with support now, they apparently weren't made aware of this new functionality...will provide an update once I finish with them.

lilslugger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Direct quote when asked if it was possible though they could not given me instructions.

"That is correct. We are still waiting for an update from the appropriate department. We will make sure to update the community as we hear more information from them.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GraemeMitchell, lilslugger

Complete support for this feature isn't quite yet available, the base station and SmartHub will need a firmware update before you're able to successfully pair your Arlo Video Doorbell this way. This firmware will be available soon, I will update the community as soon as the firmware is available.

JamesC

lilslugger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does this mean a video doorbell cannot record to a usb in my base station until this firmware is released?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lilslugger,

Correct. The Video Doorbell must be paired with the Base Station or SmartHub for Direct Storage Access. We expect to have the firmware to allow this available very soon.

JamesC

Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
First time posting. First I would like to take back my "like" to the most recent post by JamesC. I accidentally hit the heart symbol when trying to figure out how to reply.
Why is the VBM4000 listed as a base station for the doorbell to connect to, but down further under "Note" it only lists the 2 most recent hubs to access direct storage?
The only reason I bought the doorbell/camera was because I had a 4 camera pro2 set up and the hub was supposedly able to maintain up to 5 cameras.
Very sketchy of Arlo not to "clearly" advertise that it was a stand alone ( only written in small print on the box). I didn't read anything about that online prior to purchasing. The wording should have been " stand alone unit only" , instead of the misleading " does not require base station" approach.
Since Im already using a 3rd party storage with my hub, and supposedly it is able to connect with the doorbell now, why does this post yesterday suggest I can't access my storage?
Again, sketchy of Arlo. If anything the older units are the ones that should have been "grandfathered" to not require subscription. If Arlo wanted to change its business model to keep revenue rolling in, the newer units and customers are the ones that subscriptions should have been applied to, not existing customers like myself that bought with Arlo a couple years ago based on its ability to have stand alone storage.
To me, that's just Bait and Switch tactics.
GraemeMitchell
Apprentice
Apprentice

James, is this a days, weeks or months wait?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Xman1970,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Arlo Video Doorbell compatibility with select Arlo Smart Hubs / Base Stations.  You may have noticed our iOS Arlo app Release Notes for v2.14 mentions support for pairing Arlo Video Doorbell with Arlo Smart Hub / Base Stations.  This compatibility is in the final stages of development and will be available by the week of April 6th or sooner.  Arlo will announce availability of this compatibility on Arlo Community.  Thank you for your understanding as our teams are working to quickly release this new update as soon as possible.  For now, the Arlo Video Doorbell operates solely while connected directly to 2.4GHz WiFi

JamesC

Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
So when will I be able to link my video door bell to the base station using my android?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Xman1970,

We'll be releasing an update for the Android Arlo mobile app soon that will allow this onboarding flow, keep your eye on the Android app store for an update.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell.  Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below.

VMB5000   1.16.1.1_475_71659aa

VMB4540   1.16.1.1_461_71659aa

VMB4000   1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

VMB4500   1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c

To migrate your Arlo Video Doorbell from WiFi connection to your Arlo base-station or SmartHub, please remove it from your account, wait for the factory reset to complete (LED ring should be solid white) then re-onboard.

This is the full list of supported base-stations and SmartHubs for the Arlo Video Doorbell.

JamesC

lilslugger
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC  Does this include VMB4540r2?  I don't show any firmware being available.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lilslugger,

Firmware updates are automatic and happen overnight. Your VMB4540 should show as having firmware 1.16.1.1_461_71659aa. Are you seeing something different?

JamesC

lilslugger
Aspirant
Aspirant

It does show the right firmware.  However after removing the doorbell, pressing the reset button, and trying to connect, it's unable to connect...

GraemeMitchell
Apprentice
Apprentice
Did anyone get this to work with the base?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lilslugger, GraemeMitchell

The development team is currently investigating reports from those experiencing an issue syncing their doorbells with SmartHubs/Base Stations.

I will provide an update once we have more information on this issue.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team has released a fix for this issue. If you were experiencing onboarding issues with your Arlo Video Doorbell, take a look at this post and following the instructions listed here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Doorbell-Won-t-Connect-to-Base-Station-or-Wireless...

JamesC

lilslugger
Aspirant
Aspirant

That worked, I was able to connect my video doorbell to my base station, record video to USB, and view from a separate network.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation