Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 11 In Conversation
joe-jet
Tutor
Tutor

I installed my new Arlo Video Doorbell yesterday and it works fine except for one huge problem that has been reported in this community by many folks over the past six months.  Video and audio are superb during live sessions, whether recorded or not, but any session initiated by a press of the doorbell incurs pixelated and choppy video, one direction or choppy audio, and the video eventually is usually overlaid by a creeping brown or black darkness starting at the bottom of the screen and ‘growing’ until most of the screen is dark and covered (or a big splotch just appears).  Audio during the session initiated by the press of the doorbell is usually only working in one direction – to the doorbell, but the person at the door cannot be heard by the person answering on a phone or tablet.  Replays of these recorded events are also fine.  As reported by many users, this seems ironic since everything works except the main function of the device – to answer the doorbell.  It seems wild that so many folks continue to see this for so many months wherein at least one person reported at least temporary relief after the device was swapped for a new one.  This is happening on  all my devices, all android:  On the main account a Samsung S5 phone and one Samsung galaxy Tab A (2017) tablet, and on the shared account another S5 and another Tab A (2016) SM-T580.

During my first install, the device automatically updated firmware and reports it as 1.14.3.0_557_7a263ee_58dd815 and further indicates no new FW available.  The app version on all my devices is 2.16.2_28010.

As with many other folks, here's what I have tried in an attempt to remedy the issue – none of this changed the symptom:

* Lowered the resolution to 720x720,(was 1536x1536), turned off HDR, lowered brightness to the “0” midpoint.  No Help

* Moved the Arlo to a dedicated SSID, placed an access point 6 feet from Arlo, verified 24Mbps downlink and 28Mbps uplink speeds at the doorbell location. No Help.

* Verified no SSID channel/interference conflicts using tools like inSSIDer and Windows 10 wifi analyzer.  No Help.

* Rebooted router, enabled UPnP on router.  No Help

* Tried with Arlo video doorbell and device receiving the call on different network SSID’s and with both connected to the same SSID.  No Help

* Tried with device receiving call on main account and other device on a shared account.  No Help

* Tried with receiving device on LTE cellular data (not wifi).  No Help.

* Eliminated my mechanical chime by setting Arlo to “No Chime” and hardwired it to a better transformer without the power pak.  I used a variac capable of over 100VA.  No Help.  (orig xformer is 16VAC/10VA)

I am presently aware of two workarounds: 

1. Decline the ‘call” initiated by Arlo, then open a live session.  Doing so basically disables an otherwise really nice feature of Arlo (the direct call), and quickly starting a live session incurs some delay, also tricky due to the mic and speaker controls with tiny icons.  Also it’s simply a bit unacceptable given, again, the doorbell’s main purpose is broken.
  2. Return for refund

I noticed that calls initiated by a press of the doorbell do not allow zoom (live sessions do support zoom).  So it seems clear that a different vehicle / different code is used for the doorbell press calls, compared to live sessions.  Therefore I conclude that something is wrong in the firmware for these video calls.

New FW or new App?  Old FW or old app available?  Thanks for any help! 

17 REPLIES 17
mandlbassford
Aspirant
Aspirant

We're having the same issue here - live feed works great, but the doorbell ring gives me the same video and audio problems. Have you heard anything from them re: a fix?

joe-jet
Tutor
Tutor

Hi mandlbassford - 

I only just posted my issue today, so no fix ideas sent to me yet.  I thought I would wait a day or two and then try calling support.  Then if no resolution I'll return it to amazon for refund.  I'm curious if you (or anyone else reading this) saw this problem develop over time, or if the issue occurred from the first install onward.

In addition to things I documented in the first post, I also tried resetting the recorded image area to the full view (since I had reduced it earlier), I deleted activity zones, and I turned off Arlo Smart.  Sadly, nothing helps.

joe-jet
Tutor
Tutor

I returned my AVD for a refund yesterday, after noticing that all or most owners have been having these same video and audio issues for many months (or longer in the case of the same audio issues on the Arlo audio doorbell).  You can watch the same problem live in the great review of six competitive video doorbells by "Smart Home Solver" on youtube (at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twy4RUUakSk).  

Competitive products also have showstopper type bugs, as noted in the aforementioned review and experienced by me too on the Ring Pro and the "Remobell S", both of which I returned as well.  The Ring Pro has a well known and historical bug in that the audio heard at the doorbell is garbled, tinny and distorted - making conversations nearly impossible.  The "Remobell S" limits all sessions to 30 seconds, which cuts off many conversions, causes missed events and is generally tedious.  And the Remobell S night vision makes it tough to render a solid recognizable face (whether lights or on of off, whether IR is on of off).

Next I will try the "Eufy 2k Battery" based also on that review and others.  It's a shame that manufacturers (Ring, Remoplus, Arlo) fail to address these longstanding and serious issues - for many many months or longer.  It seems that Eufy may have a reputation for more frequent updates, added features and fixes via new firmware and/or apps.  Will see.  Good luck all.

Sandymike
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi joe-jet,

Have you found a resolution for this problem?

Exact same thing is happening to me.

It is only when you "accept the video call"

As you stated the live recording, and motion detection recording are fine.

Mike

joe-jet
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Sandymike,

Sorry to say, my 'resolution' is that I sent the Arlo back and received a refund (amazon).  Too many folks with the same critical issue , with no sign of any fix coming.  My fifth brand among attempts to get reasonable and reliable operation is now a "Eufy 2K Battery" after this Arlo issue, and Ring Pro disappointment over garbled & unintelligible audio - a common compliant, among other Ring issues, also the 'Remobell S' that has really poor night vision and the biggest remobell issue that all recorded sessions are limited to 10 seconds, then cut off, ruining most sessions.  The lesson, for me anyway from  this saga, is to very carefully review all posted youtube video reviews and wander around the relevant community to see if they are fixing things or even responding.  Good luck to you.

Sir_Barnacle
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same annoying issue with my Arlo Video Doorbell installed yesterday.  Has anyone successfully solved the problem where audio is choppy and video is distorted during call initiated with doorbell press?  The firmware of my doorbell is up to date.

Sandymike
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have come to the conclusion in my case.

It has to do with network bandwidth.

Arlo needs at least 3 mb upload speed.

I only have 1.5 mb upload.

RobAus
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having exactly the same issue. However my upload is approximately 10MB/s. My other 4K Arlo cameras are working fine. It's only the doorbell, when answering the Doorbell press, the "spinning circle" appears with no video. I've tried everything, Arlo please help.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RobAus,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Nikkivan
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased my Arlo video doorbell last week and am experiencing the same issues, no video when accepting a call.

I have spent ages on web chat with a service agent who said someone would get back to me within 48 hours, well no they didn’t. I then phoned and spent 1.5 hours on a call with a support agent who game me no troubleshooting tips, instead, they said I need to exchange the unit, which I have now done and same issue!
I cannot believe Arlo are still selling these units with such a massive flaw, totally disappointed and will not be planning on using Arlo for our full home security.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nikkivan,

Try reducing the video resolution of your doorbell and test again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Nikkivan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James, that was one of the first things we did, we have now also bought the Google nest wifi booster (we had good wifi coverage before getting upload speed of above 25 mbps), and now it’s over 34mbps from the front door with the door closed. I also turned off auto HDR.
We have turned off the firewall on the router to see if that had any impact, no luck. We got the unit swapped out with another one and have exactly the same issue. We have done that many factory resets and Restarts, and have spent more time on this useless device over Easter than I have e spent with my family.
I honestly cannot believe that you are allowed to sell these with so many people experiencing the same issue.
I have spent countless hours online with your support and also over the phone and they were of no help at all.
Yesterday we had not 1 notification of motion or person at the front door, which was strange cause we had many people over for the day, so that very basic feature does not work consistently either.
I will be returning this unit this week, and will no longer be using Arlo for any of my home or business security requirements. Utterly disappointed!!!
RRJ6770
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue everytime the doorbell is pressed.  I have been in touch with Arlo and its always the same thing  Reboot  and reinstall.  Very frustrating.  

BillTran
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here tried all of the above no luck,  any thoughts

BillTran
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you NOT read previous reply's  this does not work nothing tried has worked so far  very poor response

buchnerm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Encountered the exact same problem on an android phone.  I logged into the same account with an iphone, initiated the phone call by pressing the doorbell, and it worked perfectly on the iphone.  So the problem is isolated to the link between the doorbell and android phone.

Pratorian
Aspirant
Aspirant

So...I wished I read this before I bought the wireless Video doorbell. I am having the same issue. Spent some time with support when I called, they told me I needed to have a subscription for the doorbell to work. After I informed them that this is not correct, they back peddled and said it is not required; a cheeky move considering you get 90 days free when you buy this. 

Also, apparently technical support is only between 6am-6pm PST - although their website states 9pm - 5pm AEST, so weren't able to help me and there seems to be no fix from the community. 

My issues are exactly the same and I am at a loss, Arlo support please help 

Model: AVD2001

Firmware: 1.2.0.0_621_903a525_c998ba4

Hardware: 1.2

Access Via iPhone 11 pro Max and iPhone 10s - fully updated apps.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 11 In Conversation