Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell - Smart Notifications and Library recordings

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Veaseph
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the Arlo Video Doorbell installed for about a month and a half.  It was an easy installation, and I am very pleased with it.

My one issue - and I don't know if this is something I've done incorrectly, or if this is the intended behavior, or this is a bug:

I get Smart Notification Motion Alerts on my iOS devices and recordings for People, Vehicles, Animals, and Packages.  However, when there is motion and none of these are recognized, I get no alerts on my iOS devices and no recordings.

I know that the AVD has detected the motion because (1) I get a notification from my Amazon Echo (which I've "synced" with Arlo) and (2) the Arlo Mobile App Devices display shows the image at the time of the motion.  

I have Smart Notifications, "All Other Motion" enabled.

Just 15 minutes ago, my Amazon Echo "dinged", the Devices display shows an image from 15 minutes ago of a bird sitting on the railing in front of the AVD, but there is no recording.

This is not a big deal, but I'm curious.

Any insights?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Veaseph
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC:

Thank you for the response. 

I believe I understand the behavior now.  I had set up an Activity Zone .  Each time the Arlo Video Doorbell detected motion, Arlo (1) saved an image at the time of the motion and (2) sent motion notifications through to my Echo device.  However, if a detected motion was not within the Activity Zone, Arlo Smart (correctly) ignored the motion, did not record the motion, and did not send a Smart Notification.  My Echo said there was motion, my iOS devices didn't know about it.

This behavior was not what I expected, but it makes sense.  I have removed the Activity Zone, and I now get Smart Notifications and recordings for each detected motion.  In my case, the Activity Zone was not necessary, because my home is far from neighbors and extraneous motion.

I now get many videos of deer enjoying my plants in the early morning hours.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Veaseph,

Try restarting your Arlo Video Doorbell within Settings > My Devices > select your Arlo Video Doorbell > Restart

Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Veaseph
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC:

Thank you for the response. 

I believe I understand the behavior now.  I had set up an Activity Zone .  Each time the Arlo Video Doorbell detected motion, Arlo (1) saved an image at the time of the motion and (2) sent motion notifications through to my Echo device.  However, if a detected motion was not within the Activity Zone, Arlo Smart (correctly) ignored the motion, did not record the motion, and did not send a Smart Notification.  My Echo said there was motion, my iOS devices didn't know about it.

This behavior was not what I expected, but it makes sense.  I have removed the Activity Zone, and I now get Smart Notifications and recordings for each detected motion.  In my case, the Activity Zone was not necessary, because my home is far from neighbors and extraneous motion.

I now get many videos of deer enjoying my plants in the early morning hours.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation