Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell My video door bell is not ringing my inside chime.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
ABakener
Aspirant
Aspirant

My video door bell is not ringing my inside chime.  I have my thing on 0 and set to mechanical but nothing happens. 

20 REPLIES 20
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ABakener wrote:

My video door bell is not ringing my inside chime.  I have my thing on 0 and set to mechanical but nothing happens. 

Does it ring if you disconnect the power module?  Note I'm suggesting this as a test - don't leave it disconnected.

ABakener
Aspirant
Aspirant
If I unhook everything the door bell rings normal. If I leave the power module hooked up and try to manually ring the doorbell it does not work.
Molder
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue and it works when power kit disconnected, just the hammers are constantly moving inside the chime box when I do this.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This could be due to the transformer voltage. Take a look here for information on how you can test your transformer: How do I measure the voltage of my doorbell transformer?

JamesC

Molder
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can't attest to the OP, but mine is 16V, it was just installed by an electrician this week.

ohleollei
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having same issue, won't trigger original chime. Just installed new today. My transformer is outputting 20V. 

Molder
Aspirant
Aspirant
Think it may be an issue with the power kit. Having them send me a new one but waiting for it to cone. Triggers chime like 25% of the time.
ohleollei
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also checked my transformer, it is 10VA.  Could the power kit be failing and always staying in bypass?  How can we check the functionality of this? Please, someone from Arlo respond to this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ohleollei wrote:

I also checked my transformer, it is 10VA.  Could the power kit be failing and always staying in bypass?  How can we check the functionality of this?

You can try a short test with the power module removed and see what happens. 

What chime model do you have?

ohleollei
Aspirant
Aspirant

the chime is the latest and greatest Sears Roebuck & Co.  LOL   Model 746.14490 

Works fine without video doorbell hooked up. I made sure to test all of it before doing the install. Actually, still works fine with for the back door regular doorbell when front is connected to video doorbell.  All other functions of the video doorbell work fine, just won't trigger the chime.

After some troubleshooting with arlo folks on chat service, they're going to send me another power kit to try.  The y basically had me cycle power so it would reboot, then switch app traditional chime to "none" and switch power kit to 'x' as a work around. Nothing worked.

ohleollei
Aspirant
Aspirant

shoot. realized I didn't answer your idea.  If I disconnect power kit, the chime buzzes like if you hold the doorbell in shorting the transformer.  I asked them about that and basically said if power kit doesn't resolve it, the next step would be to replace the doorbell itself.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ohleollei wrote:

After some troubleshooting with arlo folks on chat service, they're going to send me another power kit to try.  

Hopefully that will do it.

FWIW I had issues with my own doorbells initially.  Swapping the power kit didn't resolve it - a new transformer did.  Weird because I measured the voltage and it was fine.

In my case the chime rang w/o the power kit.

TCfla
Tutor
Tutor
I had the same issue with my installation. Nutone doorbell and chime, 3 years old, with Nutone C905 16v/10a transformer. The chime worked fine before the camera installation, after the camera installation, the AVD worked fine, but no chime would sound when the doorbell was rung.
My biggest complaint about the AVD is their support...nonexistent. So I went on the Ring and Nest forums and found the issue was resolved by changing out the transformer to a 16v/30amp.
Any 16v/30amp transformer will work. I could’ve ordered it on Amazon, but HomeDepot had one from HamptonBay immediately in stock.
It took me less than 15 min to swap it out, once I found it in the attic attached to a junction box, and shut off the power.
Now the AVD works great, AND the chime rings when the button is pushed.
Hopefully Arlo support reads this and includes this information on the installation instructions in the future. The standard 16v/10amp transformer included standard with most doorbells just does not supply enough power to both the camera and the chime.
And yes, use the supplied power adapter from Arlo in the box or you will get unnecessary ringing from the chime every time motion is detected.
Hope this helps!
Molder
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not for me. Brand new doorbell worked fine with their audio only doorbell. Upgraded to video doorbell and my transformer to a 24v 40A and it only works intermittent.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Molder wrote:
Not for me. Brand new doorbell worked fine with their audio only doorbell. Upgraded to video doorbell and my transformer to a 24v 40A and it only works intermittent.

It might be worth checking the wiring at the doorbell - there's not a lot of space behind the doorbell, and the connection there might not be solid. Personally I'm thinking I'll put a shim or small standoff behind the mounting screws sometime this summer to create a bit more space. FWIW, I liked the audio doorbell mount a bit better (connecting the doorbell leads to the mount, and not the doorbell itself).

Also, check the power module connection and that the switch is solidly in the O position.  If it is, then perhaps contact Arlo support - it's possible that your power module is defective.

What chime do you own?

Molder
Aspirant
Aspirant
Vikrant
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I recently purchased the Arlo video door bell in Netherlands and also fixed the transformer for the 24 V and also changed my door bell to match the 24 V output. I fixed everything as per instructions and when i switch it on- the door bell keeps ringing continuously and does not go off until teh circuit is switched off from the mains.  I am not sure what needs to be done here as its very annoying and i am unable to use my door bell when someone presses it, it only rings on my phone through the Arlo app. Request to know if you have any technical help here in Netherlands who could help fix this issue. 

Regards

Vikrant

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Vikrant,

Do you have the power kit installed? How do I install the Power Kit for my Arlo Video Doorbell?

Also you may need to adjust your chime settings to reflect the type of chime you are using: How do I change the chime that my Arlo Video Doorbell triggers?

JamesC

Psykopup
Aspirant
Aspirant

This was my EXACT same case. I also had the Nutone C905 transformer. I did ALL the troubleshooting steps I could find online. I then chatted with Arlo support. That chat ended with... "I can't help. Contact an electrician." Wow!  I was confused because I was replacing a Skybell HD, which was ringing the door chime.

I read @TCfla post and figured to give the Arlo one more try. I purchased a 16v/30amp transformer, installed it, and.... *Ding Dong*.  Worked!!! It's very disappointing that Arlo documentation or support techs don't mention this at all.

The only frustrating thing about changing out the transformer was finding the dang circuit breaker for the transformer. As with most home builders, the labelling on the breaker panel is horrible. I ended up having to shut down the main breaker for the house. Hope this helps someone.

TCfla
Tutor
Tutor

Glad it helped!

Youre right about customer support though...terrible

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation