Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Smart Hub VMB4540 Direct Storage Access switch auto switch off

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear community,

At home i use an Wired Arlo Doorbel - Firmware = 1.18.0.0_1478_6e6deea_6853d06 (Not connected through Verisure security) and and Arlo Essential indoor camera (through Verisure security in the Netherlands).

Both of my devices are connected in the same Arlo account. 

Because of privacy and convenience i would like to store my video locally. I recently bought an Arlo Smarthub VMB4540-100EUS (Firmware 1.21.1.0_1397_898b168). After setting up i was able to record some video’s but not for my doorbell, which was the reason i bought it in the first place.

When i use the IOS (16.5.1 c) Arlo app (version 4.5 6272) and go to the local storage setting of my smarthub i’m able to set all the switches to on exact the “Direct Storage Access”. When i enable this setting, within a second it automatically switches off. 

After reading multiple support pages i removed the doorbel and reattached it through the smart hub. (So not separate). I can see in my devices that the doorbel is a child object to the arlo smart hub.

Does someone have any suggestions how to solve this issue? 

So the main question is: How do i record video's of my wired doorbell through Direct Storage Access in my IOS ARLO app library? The "Direct Storage Access" switches automatically off when i enable it.

Thanks in advance for your support

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've seen a few other similar issues about the local recording toggle not staying enabled. I don't know if it's an iOS thing but what happens if you use the web client (my.arlo.com)? Is there a chance you could test this on and Android phone (install the app, check the action and then delete the app)?

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately I don’t have an android device. Also the smarthub isnt available in the web client. Only in the app. I thought Maybe someone with the same hardware/ setup has the same problem/ solution?

btw: the videos are recorded on the usb drive when I connect it to a laptop. Only not visible in the library section of the app

any other tips are welcome.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I see the hub in the web client. Maybe you need to scroll to find it? Which user interface (UI) are you using - the old one that uses Library to view videos or the new one that uses Feed?

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello jguerdat, 

You are right. i can see it in the webclient (Safari on mac) under settings (but not on the home screen like in the app. But there is no "Direct Storage Access" option in the web client. Only in the IOS app but that switch constantly changes to off then i set it to on. I did try a reset and fresh install. I can see my smart hub, i can see my wired doorbel attached to the smart hub, recorded video's are stored locally on the USB drive (so it seems compatible) but i don't see the video's in the library due to the fact that i'm not able to enable "Direct Storage Access". 

BTW: i only see library in the web client and the IOS app. i don't see the feed option (maybe it due to the fact i also use a verisure camera on this account. Could it be that they disable the direct storage access option (for all devices instead of only the camera they manage?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Feed" would mean you would be using the new user interface (UI). I suppose that Verisure may force certain things like the old UI you're using as well as things about local recordings. I'd think Verisure would need to be contacted to verify that.

WHen you're in Library, is there a selection at the top that allows you to choose between cloud and local storage or is that just missing?

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again for your quick response. No unfortunately not. I only have the filter option and select camera option.

I have a support case open at Arlo aswell but no response yet but I will also open a case at Verisure’s. In the mean time: if anyone has a suggestion feel free….

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation