Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essentials Wired Video Doorbell has completely failed

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
4KFan
Aspirant
Aspirant
A couple days ago my doorbells suddenly showed as offline. They were still working or at least appeared to be getting power. The doorbell would ring if I pushed the button but nothing else would happen.

I did a factory reset and my base station saw the doorbells but immediately after they were added they came up as offline in the app.

Then things got worse.

Following advice in an article from Arlo, I cut power to the doorbells and let the backup battery drain to force a reset. Now the doorbells don’t work at all despite having had hours to recharge.

Transformer is getting 22 volts
Each doorbell is getting 22 volts
wires are connected securely.
Shorting the wires made the doorbell ring but pressing the doorbell button now does nothing.

It’s mostly animals that have set off my doorbell camera in the past but I’ve also seen people in my yard sometimes that shouldn’t have been there. Up until a couple days ago it was fairly reliable and now both fail at the same time ?

please tell me there’s an easy fix as buying a replacement is not in my current budget.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
4KFan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Reconnected the wires to the transformer after a few warmer days and suddenly the doorbell cameras are cooperating again. Updated the firmware on the cameras as well.

Cameras are now co-operating again, mostly. One camera will not operate the mechanical chime but will ring my phone. Instructions don’t help as they only cover connecting a single doorbell to a chime. Chime has 4 connectors with three wires going to it. Front door rings the chime , which I can live with.

Thanks for the various suggestions. I’m not sure why the doorbells failed in the first place, but I’m glad they’re working again.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
4KFan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the suggestion, that was the first things I did.

Did the factory reset on both doorbells and the system found them and then lost them moments later with the “your device appears to be offline error message”

Tried it again after the battery drain to reset and… nothing. The doorbell has power going to it but no power going through it. Lights don’t light up, doorbell doesn’t ring… they went from being video doorbells to bricks.

2 doorbells, same problem.

Up until now I thought they were great, now I’m not so sure.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd be inclined to think the transformer as the issue, perhaps not a high enough current rating.

4KFan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Transformer was replaced years ago when the doorbells were first installed and up to a few days ago they worked without issue.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@4KFan wrote:
Transformer was replaced years ago when the doorbells were first installed and up to a few days ago they worked without issue.

Still, it sounds like it's a power issue - particularly since it is affecting both doorbells.

4KFan
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s what has me confused. Voltage shows as 22V at the transformer and each doorbell which is more than enough power.

Is it possible that the back up battery has failed in both doorbell cameras ? Both were installed on the same day about 3? years ago. Of course it doesn’t look like there’s a simple way to crack open the doorbell to check and change a rechargeable battery.

There is definitely a power issue, I’m just not totally convinced it’s the transformer. Anything else I should check with the multimeter ?

Irony is that in a month or so this wouldn’t matter as the doorbells would be going to a different house.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked the voltage at the doorbells? A broken wire could be the cause.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@4KFan wrote:
That’s what has me confused. Voltage shows as 22V at the transformer and each doorbell which is more than enough power.

Certainly enough voltage - maybe not enough amperage under load???

Did you try disconnecting the transformer (or turning off it's circuit breaker) for maybe half an hour, and then reconnecting it?  That should be enough time for the internal batteries to discharge.  When reconnecting power, they should charge (and then the doorbells should boot cleanly).  Should being the key word of course.

4KFan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Reconnected the wires to the transformer after a few warmer days and suddenly the doorbell cameras are cooperating again. Updated the firmware on the cameras as well.

Cameras are now co-operating again, mostly. One camera will not operate the mechanical chime but will ring my phone. Instructions don’t help as they only cover connecting a single doorbell to a chime. Chime has 4 connectors with three wires going to it. Front door rings the chime , which I can live with.

Thanks for the various suggestions. I’m not sure why the doorbells failed in the first place, but I’m glad they’re working again.
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation