Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alert based on other camera

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RamaSubbu_SK
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Video doorbell is facing the road so any vehicle that goes, gets me a notification, what is the best way to solve this problem?

I also have a front camera which is focusing only in my property area. Can we have alert/motion detection turn on doorbell only when there is motion detection on my front camera? 

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RamaSubbu_SK wrote:

I also have a front camera which is focusing only in my property area. Can we have alert/motion detection turn on doorbell only when there is motion detection on my front camera? 

Yes, you can set up the system that way.  I call that "cross-triggering".

I'd set up a custom mode that works that way (and leave the "armed" mode as it is).  Create a rule that triggers from the front camera, and then records from the doorbell. https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

@RamaSubbu_SK wrote:

My Video doorbell is facing the road so any vehicle that goes, gets me a notification, what is the best way to solve this problem?

If you have a subscription, there are two other options:

1. Set up activity zones that ignore the road.  That will supress both recordings and notifications: https://kb.arlo.com/1001908/What-are-activity-zones-and-how-do-I-create-them
  2. Use smart notifications, to turn off vehicle notifications.  That will supress the notifications, but not the recordings. https://kb.arlo.com/000056585/What-are-Arlo-s-advanced-motion-alerts-and-how-do-I-set-them-up
RamaSubbu_SK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB 

I want something like once there is motion detect in the front camera, I want to turn on the motion detection in my doorbell.  I'm not sure how to add a drawing here and I have created a table to show the monitor area. My home entrance door slightly inside so does the doorbell. Today when there is vehicle passes in the road, I get notification. I'm trying to see whether I can take the motion detect turn on only when it detects the model in Front Camera.

RoadRoadRoadRoad
Front CameraFront CameraFront Camera/ DoorbellFront Camera
Front CameraFront CameraFront Camera/ DoorbellFront Camera
House WallHouse WallDoorbellHouse Wall
House WallHouse WallDoorbellHouse Wall
  Doorbell 

Seems like it is not possible without subscription. Can you confirm it?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RamaSubbu_SK wrote:

I want something like once there is motion detect in the front camera, I want to turn on the motion detection in my doorbell. 

You can't quite do that (whether you have a subscription or not). 

But you can have the doorbell record when the front camera detects motion (without a subscription).  You can do that even when the doorbell is also set up to detect motion.

You just create a custom mode for the front camera that includes two rules - one that tells the front camera to record when the front camera detects motion (if you want that), and a second one that tells the doorbell to record when the front camera detects motion.

RamaSubbu_SK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for helping me here.

If I configure that to tells the doorbell to record when the front camera detects motion, would front camera records the video? 
Would doorbell record when someone presses the doorbell button, if I disarm the doorbell?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RamaSubbu_SK wrote:

If I configure that to tells the doorbell to record when the front camera detects motion, would front camera records the video? 

That's up to you.  What I outlined above would have both cameras record when the front camera triggers.  But only the doorbell would record if the doorbell triggers (and the front door does not).

But you could instead have the front camera be the only device that triggers.  And you could have the front camera trigger the doorbell, but make no recording itself.

@RamaSubbu_SK wrote:

Would doorbell record when someone presses the doorbell button, if I disarm the doorbell?

No.  Pressing the doorbell doesn't trigger recording - it's the motion detection that does that.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation