Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
jnxx
Initiate
Initiate

Can't complete adding a friend.  Followed all instructions.  Got as far as establishing an account.  After "friend" logs in it goes right to a screen for "Subscriptions".  We don't want to subscribe to any Arlo services but there's no "Continue" button.  Press "Subscribe Now" and you get "You need cameras in your account to start a subscription".  Video doorbell camera was designated at invite stage.  Otherwise there's no way for friend to add a camera.

Other times I get that a message that the invite has already been accepted and the to ask the account owner to issue a reinvite.  But you can't do that because on the account owner's app the friend is shown as having already accepted the invitation.  Can't get out of these circular loops.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jnxx
Initiate
Initiate

Problem solved!  The root of the problem is the vagueness of the process for adding a friend, in my case, my wife, in user manual. 

After completing all the prior steps, the last step is to send an invite.  The friend is then assigned a "Pending" status until she accepts the invitation.  But the manual does not go on to define what the pending status means, what happens next, or what the timing is.  

I had already download the Arlo app on my wife's phone and opened it immediately after sending the invitation.  I assumed that I would see a something about accepting the invitation.  Instead the app started to direct me how to install the doorbell as if she were the account owner.  In the process of fumbling around I did manage to establish an account for my wife but then I kept running into circular runarounds.

I had no idea what to expect.  Was my wife going to get an email?  Was I going to see what to do after I opened the app?  It was like being directed onto a road detour and then having no road signs to follow. 

Long story short, there can be a considerable is a delay between sending an invite and the friend getting a notification.  According to this site...   https://smarthomestarter.com/can-arlo-video-doorbell-be-connected-to-two-phones/... it can take up to 24hr before a friend is granted access and is functioning for all of the features to be available.

After hours of frustration, I decided to try one more time the next day.  But everything worked perfectly as soon as I opened the app on my wife's phone.  Turns out, all I needed to was let time pass.  

Turns

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried having the friend accept the invite on a PC?  That generally works better than accepting it on the phone.

jnxx
Initiate
Initiate

Problem solved!  The root of the problem is the vagueness of the process for adding a friend, in my case, my wife, in user manual. 

After completing all the prior steps, the last step is to send an invite.  The friend is then assigned a "Pending" status until she accepts the invitation.  But the manual does not go on to define what the pending status means, what happens next, or what the timing is.  

I had already download the Arlo app on my wife's phone and opened it immediately after sending the invitation.  I assumed that I would see a something about accepting the invitation.  Instead the app started to direct me how to install the doorbell as if she were the account owner.  In the process of fumbling around I did manage to establish an account for my wife but then I kept running into circular runarounds.

I had no idea what to expect.  Was my wife going to get an email?  Was I going to see what to do after I opened the app?  It was like being directed onto a road detour and then having no road signs to follow. 

Long story short, there can be a considerable is a delay between sending an invite and the friend getting a notification.  According to this site...   https://smarthomestarter.com/can-arlo-video-doorbell-be-connected-to-two-phones/... it can take up to 24hr before a friend is granted access and is functioning for all of the features to be available.

After hours of frustration, I decided to try one more time the next day.  But everything worked perfectly as soon as I opened the app on my wife's phone.  Turns out, all I needed to was let time pass.  

Turns

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation