Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AVD no power

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
FiveOenduro
Guide
Guide
Installed the AVD. Worked for about half the day before receiving notifications of tamper detected with a low battery notification. Continued to get these notifications until the unit presumably ran out of battery. Replaced the transformer which was 10vac to 16vac/10v. Still no power. Changed the chime to an upgraded mechanical chime. Still no power. Switched from the front doorbell to the rear doorbell. Still no power. Remove the AVD and reinstall traditional doorbells and they continue to work. I’m stumped. I’m assuming the doorbell drained it’s internal battery due to the low volt transformer. But I can’t seem to get the AVD to power on at all after the fact. I’ve left the unit wired over night on both the front of the house and rear of the house attempting to recharge the internal battery with no luck. Power is running to the doorbell as the traditional doorbell still works. I’m not sure how the doorbell isn’t receiving enough power as the transformer and chime were replaced. But obviously it isn’t receiving enough power to recharge the internal battery to power on. The unit is completely dead, no lights, no nothing, even after the reset button was presses.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FiveOenduro
Guide
Guide
SOLVED: the 2nd upgraded transformer did the trick. First upgraded from original 10v to 16v. Turns out I needed more power and the 24v transformer solved my power issue.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
monkeybeas
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I also replace my door chime and shut circuit breaker good half hour now it doesn’t work . Also had replace transformer . I get 18v to door bell and bypass and chime works . So the unit it self no good .

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FiveOenduro, monkeybeas

Given the troubleshooting steps you've mentioned already taken, it may take deeper investigation to understand the issue you're experiencing. I encourage you to contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

AlisaD
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issue. Got a replacement device thinking I had a bad one and had an electrician check the transformer. Still no luck.
FiveOenduro
Guide
Guide
I just got a replacement as well. However, I just read that ring and other video doorbells require 20+ Constant volts. So I will be replacing the transformer, again, from 16v to 24v as well as the new doorbell. I’m leaning towards the upgraded 16v transformer still not being enough to power everything. I’ll report back.
AlisaD
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've had a Ring Video Doorbell 2 for years and it has worked fine with no issues. We got the AVD because we have other Arlo cameras and wanted to use one brand. The Ring requires 8 to 24 volts according to them.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AlisaD,

If you're still experiencing an issue after consulting an electrician, I encourage you to reach to the Arlo Support Team to investigate this issue and troubleshoot further.

JamesC

FiveOenduro
Guide
Guide
The new unit and the 24v transformer have been installed and working without issue for about 14hours. Multiple recordings and notifications. There have been no tamper detected or negative alerts so far. I will give another update in a day or two, but so far so good.
FiveOenduro
Guide
Guide
SOLVED: the 2nd upgraded transformer did the trick. First upgraded from original 10v to 16v. Turns out I needed more power and the 24v transformer solved my power issue.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation