Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

doorbell - gray screen and spinning icon when answering

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
hollish
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am filing a complaint with the BBB as its apparent for a year now, arlo knows that the doorbell will not work with a iPhone 12 or 13.  We can NOT answer the door with your crappy product.

16 REPLIES 16
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hollish,

What are you experiencing? Could you provide more details?

JamesC

hollish
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can not answer doorbell with iPhone 13 & 12. When we try to answer, we get spinning ball, no video, no audio, no communication. We have reinstalled app on phones, updated latest update.
When we go to library, it shows voice but when to play the message, it will not play message

Thank you
hollish
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can not answer doorbell with iPhone 13 & 12. When we try to answer, we get spinning ball, no video, no audio, no communication. We have reinstalled app on phones, updated latest update.
When we go to library, it shows voice but when to play the message, it will not play message

Thank you
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hollish,

Are you able to live stream the doorbell? What does the signal strength icon for the doorbell show?

JamesC

hollish
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, in live stream I can watch and listen, strength is very good.

Arlo has known about this issue and we spent enough money in this system so we can see who is at our front door.

It is poor business practice when a company hides, making it impossible to talk to a tech and no one should have to pay for support.  We will never buy another device because of no go to support.

We have noted LOTS of filed complaints by iPhone owners and ALL of us expect Arlo to make this right.   

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hollish,

Try adjusting the video resolution down for your doorbell within the mobile app under Settings > My Devices > select your doorbell > video settings > Video Resolution. After adjusting, test again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

sam3448
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same issue for a longtime but finally have had enough of it not working and want to get it resolved. I have tried resetting the device and have had no luck in getting the calls to work.

The WIFI signal is strong, download speed is 100mb/s down and upload 15mb/s up, I have also set the doorbell to high priority on the WIFI.

But I still have the same issue where I can not communicate with the person at the door.

What is the solution?

sam3448
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have also set the resolution down to 720p.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sam3448,

What happens when you accept the call? Do you see any error messages?

JamesC

sam3448
Aspirant
Aspirant

no i just get the grey screen and with spinning wheel in the centre.

As indicated I can connect when I am on the same wifi network but as soon as I connect from outside the WIFI network of the house it does not work.

I can see that other people are having the same issue.

My phone is an iphone 12 Pro max and it is has the latest operating system and the APP is the latest version

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sam3448,

What mobile carrier are you using?

JamesC

sam3448
Aspirant
Aspirant

iphone 12 pro max

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating an issue reported for AU customers using Telstra. I will provide an update once I have more information.

JamesC

hollish
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!

sam3448
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes I am with Telstra I really hope that you can fix this as I have had this issue for a very long time and just been putting up with it but it is really annoying that the main reason I purchased the doorbell was to be able to communicate with people and it doesn't work

rjpg
Star
Star

I am not with Telstra and have had this issue with an iPhone 12 Pro Max since day one.

Occasionally it might work, but mostly just a grey screen and spinning wheel.

It has become worse with the latest Arlo app version 4.0. Not only does it lock the phone temporarily, but when it releases it the phone is unable to connect to a live feed.

I've given up any hope of Arlo fixing this. They've known about it for years.

A reasonable piece of hardware let down by shoddy software engineering.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation