Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Kpl9988
Tutor
Tutor

Apparently my Nest Wifi 2.4/5 ghz network will not allow my wireless doorbell to connect. Arlo wants me to pay $99 for a firmware update to be able to connect. This is not right. I already paid $200 and now you want another $100 from me. I guess it's going back to the store.

4 REPLIES 4
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Kpl9988,

We want to let you know that we don't charge anyone to update a firmware. Read here to learn more about how to avoid support scam: How can I avoid Arlo support scams?

Make sure that your phone device is on the same network as your Nest WiFi and it is on 2.4 Ghz. Also temporarily disable your 5GHz on your Nest WiFi to complete the installation and then re-enable it back on after. Read more here: How do I install my Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free?

Kpl9988
Tutor
Tutor
How do I disable 5ghz network on my Nest Wifi? I have looked it up and there seems to be no way of doing that.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's not an Arlo question - it's one for Nest. You can log into the router and check the configuration but be sure to make notes so you can change it back if desired. I'd try turning off using one SSID and set a new name for the 5GHz band for the time being.

That said, I regularly set up Arlo devices on the 2.4GHz band while my phone is on the 5GHz band. I do use separate SSIDs for the bands so maybe that's the reason it works. I also believe others have set up their Arlo devices using a network that combines the two bands into one SSID so the issue may reside in the Nest implementation.

Bsc77
Aspirant
Aspirant
In order to connect a 2.4 ghz device to a Google Nest router broadcasting a combined SSID you need to install the new device outside the range of the 5ghz signal but within the 2.4ghz signal.

Googles decision to disable the ability to broadcast 2 SSIDs is as shortsighted as Arlos decision to restrict devices to 2.4ghz.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation