Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Hardwired but not powered/charging (AVDK2001-111NAS) Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell + Chime

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ParrotGuy
Follower
Follower

A while back, I replaced a Ring branded video doorbell which was hardwired with the house's existing doorbell wiring. It is a two-wire line with ~23 Vrms @ 60 Hz. It kept the Ring's internal battery charged.

The Arlo essential wireless video doorbell is wired similarly, and it properly interfaces with the house's chimes. However, it does not power the Arlo, nor charge the battery. So I have to pull out the battery every ~4 months to charge is manually. This kind of defeats the purpose.

To wit: I wish the Arlo to remain charged so I do not have periodically manually charge it. I got the wireless/battery powered one so it'll operate during a power outage (my WiFi and internet are all on battery backup, with a cellular fail-over connection if the fiberoptic ISP goes down).

Any idea?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ParrotGuy wrote:

A while back, I replaced a Ring branded video doorbell which was hardwired with the house's existing doorbell wiring. It is a two-wire line with ~23 Vrms @ 60 Hz. It kept the Ring's internal battery charged.

The Arlo essential wireless video doorbell is wired similarly, and it properly interfaces with the house's chimes. However, it does not power the Arlo, nor charge the battery. So I have to pull out the battery every ~4 months to charge is manually.

Actually it should be trickle-charging the battery from the low-voltage AC.  The transformer spec is 8-24 volts, so this should be working.

If the doorbell can be exchanged with the seller, I suggest trying that.  Otherwise if it is under warranty, try contacting Arlo support and ask for a replacement from them.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation