Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Faulty doorbell?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Pootin22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Installed video doorbell 3 days ago, but it seems to be having issues.
- Battery is going down by 10% a day, started at 100% and its now down to 70%.
- live view keeps not working, I have to keep restarting the Doorbell until it works.
- When Live View works, it freezes every few seconds for a second or two.
I've tried resetting it all, changing the settings, deleting and restarting the app, still issues. Is this normal for the Doorbell?
11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pootin22 wrote:
Installed video doorbell 3 days ago, but it seems to be having issues.
- Battery is going down by 10% a day, started at 100% and its now down to 70%.

How much motion activity is the camera seeing (approx seconds of video recorded per day)?  If you use activity zones, then you'll need to disable them temporarily to estimate this.

@Pootin22 wrote:

- live view keeps not working, I have to keep restarting the Doorbell until it works.
- When Live View works, it freezes every few seconds for a second or two.
I've tried resetting it all, changing the settings, deleting and restarting the app, still issues. Is this normal for the Doorbell?

This suggests a wifi issue.  What signal strength are you seeing for the doorbell in the app?

But it also could be a defective doorbell.  If you are in your seller's return window, it's probably simplest to exchange it there.  Otherwise you can try Arlo support (using the support options in the app).

Pootin22
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought the Doorbell from Curry's on ebay, they said I can't return it because its been opened, and that I'd need to contact Arlo to confirm its faulty first, but now I can't log into the app, says access is blocked.
Pootin22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Had to delete the app and reinstall to be able to log in again. Support just replied, the initially said the router was too far from the Doorbell, so I moved it closer, but still not receiving notifications. They are now saying its too close to the Doorbell. Anyone know the ideal distance the router is meant to be from the Doorbell for it to work??
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pootin22 wrote:
Anyone know the ideal distance the router is meant to be from the Doorbell for it to work??

About how far from the doorbell is it?  It'd be hard for it to be too close, since there is a wall in between.

@Pootin22 wrote:
 but still not receiving notifications. 

None at all?  Are you able to livestream the doorbell now?

Have you looked at these:

Pootin22
Aspirant
Aspirant
The Live stream is working, but I don't receive notifications until I open the app, it sometimes works but mostly not. I've turned off battery optimisation, prioritised notifications, reset the doorbell, moved router etc.
The router was around 5 metres from the Doorbell, which they said was too far, now its approx 2 metres, and they say that's too close. I've now moved it halfway in between 5 and 2 metres, pressed the Doorbell and still not receiving anything. Never known a router to be too close to cause issues though.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pootin22 wrote:
 Never known a router to be too close to cause issues though.

It can - the transmit signal can overload the client radio in some cases.  But not 2 meters, so I think support are reaching.

@Pootin22 wrote:
The Live stream is working, but I don't receive notifications until I open the app, it sometimes works but mostly not. 

What device are you using, and what version of iOS/Android is it running?

Also, it sounds like the problem isn't that you aren't receiving notifications - it's that you aren't receiving them until the app is opened?  Is that correct?

If it is correct, then this has nothing to do with your router.  It's totally about the app/phone.

Pootin22
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm using android 11 on TCL 10l phone. I just installed the app on an old iPhone 6s and it works fine on there, so it's probably not compatible with my phone?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pootin22 wrote:
I'm using android 11 on TCL 10l phone. I just installed the app on an old iPhone 6s and it works fine on there, so it's probably not compatible with my phone?

Perhaps not compatible - though there might be some settings that would help.  Making sure "background app refresh" is set for example.  I haven't used Android for a couple of years - hopefully others will chime in with other settings.

Pootin22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Had another reply from support. They said all phones are compatible, and that the router has to be 3 metres from the Doorbell to work, no more, no less. Is everyone else's modem 3 metres away from their cameras?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pootin22 wrote:
and that the router has to be 3 metres from the Doorbell to work, no more, no less.

To the millimetre? Clearly silly.  FWIW, mine is further away than that. 

Perhaps one of the mods ( @JamesC or @ShayneS ) can review the case notes - it'd be helpful if you could post the case number. 

Pootin22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still trying to get this sorted via support on app but not getting anywhere, was offered a refund and provided invoice/receipt but they then backtracked and referred it back to technical team. Still no reply from mods 3 months Later. Tried every solution possible multiple times. Bought a new phone which seems to have sorted the notifications, although some a still delayed up to 10 minutes, Live view just gets stuck on loading when doorbell is pressed. Support request number: 444890
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation